Paint the wall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I've heard the term " paint the wall " when releasing the ball while attempting a throw. This term is coming from some college players that are helping our team when they are not in school.
The reason i bring this up is because we have one dd that so focus's on " painting the wall " that she doesn't really what i call line her shoulders to the target at the beginning of her throws. Her sholders almost always seem to be square to the target 70% of the time on her throws.
It also looks like that when she focus's this way that her elbow tends to go close inside to her body.
Hope this makes sense. Any ideas on how to elimante the problem.
Thanks!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Haven't heard that term before, and since I don't know what exactly they mean by it, I can tell you that I do paint a wall facing where I am painting. Goes to show that many times what is said isn't what is meant. Take for example I have heard so many times I can't count, "keep your weight back" to a hitter. Have you really tried to hit a ball hard while keeping your weight back? Guess what, kids are going to try to do what the coach tells them.

I have tried and tried to explain that what you heard as a kid, and now your coaching and telling kids the same thing doesn't work to a few people, some kind of get it, and some don't want to hear it.

May 1, 2011
This probably has something to do with the drill that has kids close to a wall and throwing (seen it used trying to keep kids from throwing side arm). The only thing I've ever seen come out of that drill is skinned knuckles. Not saying it doesn't EVER work, but I personally haven't seen it do any good.

Josh

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't have any idea what that means either, but if it helps, I will start yelling it.

I used to yell at my son to "Pick up the quarter," but I was teaching him to pitch in baseball.

Aug 2, 2008
Havent heard it but I am assuming they mean when you realease your hand flips downward, and your fingers would be the bristles of the brush, painting the wall, in front of you. I dont think that particular que has anything to do with shoulder or hip alignment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA