Pace of practice question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Had a question about practices -- what are some philsophies about practice pace? I've heard some folks make the case for slower practices, and I've heard some coaches make the case for faster practices.

And by fast/slow, I mean two different things:

(1) Managing/shortening the down time between drills (like speeding up the pace of hitting infield, splitting the team into two lines for grounders so that two coaches are hitting instead of one, etc)

(2) Asking players to do skills faster, particularly as competition (like throwing relays)

The case for a slower pace -- focus on precision, don't want the players to be rushed into mistakes, more opportunity for the coach to identify and focus on mistakes, better reflects the pace of an actual game.

The case for a faster pace -- puts more mental pressure on the players, depending on the drill, adds an element of competition, increases the number of reps that players get, ability to cover more material during practice, improves conditioning.

The one other variable I've heard is that the ages of the girls could be a factor -- having slower practices with younger girls, and faster practices with older girls. I've heard that college practices are generally pretty fast paced.

Thoughts?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I like fast practices because it keeps players involved, however, there are some things that can't be rushed through. You can't rush through taking soft toss or hitting on the pitching machine, but you can have a fast paced infield practice. There needs to be a nice balance.

Feb 24, 2010
I'd have to ask what your purpose for the drill is? If you are instructing something new, then take your time and make sure they learn what you want them to know. If it's to get them to master something then go fast so it becomes second nature.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is a little of both. What it isn't is putting 9 girls on the field and hitting to them one by one.

Many times, I see Candrea just sitting on a bucket rolling slow balls to his infielders. We sometimes forget to review the slow rollers.

Jul 28, 2010
I think there is a difference between fast paced practices and hustle. The girls should always be moving and doing something productive but that doesn't mean that we need to have 5 coaches hitting to 2 girls each. Don't forget the purpose of each drill or practice

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Depends on the drills point of focus.

Teaching new skills or correcting fundimental flaws go slow and instruct.
Polishing existing skills. Add preasure and see where the cracks develop. Speed and intra team competion are ways to add pressure.

Examples: For skill instruction or trouble shooting fielding skills we have 2 coaches hitting to 2 lines with a 3rd coach watching the players fielding. All three give ques for correction if there is something wrong and positive reenforcement when everything is right. If a flaw makes several appearances with a specific player the 3rd coach breaks them out for some 1 on 1 work on that problem when needed.

For pressure we do 4 corners with the goal of hitting 100 throws and catches without an error. The first time they accomplish this during the season the coaches give them 20 pushups and the announcement of thier time to completion. Every time they beat thier time to 100 error free throws and catches we tack on an extra 5 push ups for the coaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff