Outside pitch mechanics or approach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Glad to see the hitting forum is getting back to normal :cool: I think I will pull out my Epstein videos this weekend. I have not watched them for a while. I am not a total fan of the material, but there were a few things on them that I found interesting.

JMHO. If a hitter does tend to hit "around the ball", he/she will tend to hit soft grounders to shortstop or 2nd base when pitched outside. I have no idea if that is the case with the OP, just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
everytime someone posts here it turns into an argument about who knows what who teaches best and what method is better. Same thing every single time.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
DD doesn't hit soft grounders 2nd or softies to SS It's usually a flare to 1st base foul line. Or pop up to CF or RF.

I can't get DDs video to upload from my phone. Any suggestions? Sorry errybody I'm NEW...

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I admit that I have no idea what "Epstein mechanics" are. I'm not going to look it up right now. One of the common cues for hitting the outside pitch is to "keep the front shoulder on the ball." On the inside pitch you get the sweet spot of the bat out in front, and at contact the shoulders are more open. On the outside pitch, they are more closed when you are driving the ball the other way.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Link to his site...

Hitting - Rotational Hitting - Mike Epstein Rotational Hitting

NOTE: I am not promoting anything. IMO, there is something to be learned from everyone. You can learn what to do in some cases. In others you can learn what not to do. It is up to you to figure out which is which.

In many cases the MLB swing is understood Fairly well.

But the teaching path is different to almost every instructor and coach.

As a matter of fact, the same instructor can teach their students differently, based on learning styles, and what must be done to get some things to click.

It is my fault about this morning and I apologize.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06