Outfielding - safety stops

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I saw a coach yesterday teaching safety stops to outfielders and she was having them go down on thier throwing arm knee.

I pulled her aside and told her I thought they should go down on the glove knee because they would come up in the right position to make a throw.

She disagreed and continued teaching her method because "that's what she was always taught" and she thought it was good to force the player to make the turn with her body and come set for the throw.

Can anyone explain this to me in a better way that makes sense? I'm still not seeing it her way. I played a lot of outfield in my day and always went on my glove knee when the situation called. The other way feels counter-intuitive.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You may be right, but you can't tell the coach that. Now, she thinks you are butting in.

By the way, I wouldn't teach them to use a knee at all. So, now we have 3 opinions.

Oct 19, 2009
You may be right, but you can't tell the coach that. Now, she thinks you are butting in.

By the way, I wouldn't teach them to use a knee at all. So, now we have 3 opinions.

We're both coaches in the same org, but I'm 10U and she's 12U and we we're doing stations with all the kids from 10-16U so I'm not really butting in. At the same time, I didn't want to argue with her in front of the kids. I just think we should all be on the same page doing the proper method. I haven't brought it up to the pres yet.

Actually she was teaching not to go all the way down on the knee but drop to within a couple inches of the ground. What is your method?

Jan 15, 2009
I've heard from a few coaches that the one knee is something they reserve if they are playing on really bad fields. Which for some is almost never, where I play it's about 50% of the time.

I don't personally like it, but if a kid likes to use it in situations where fielding the ball slightly quicker makes no difference, it's not worth getting worked up about. I'll have bigger battles with what other coaches have taught them over time.

Jun 6, 2009

I agree. Stay centered on the ball and if you are able to put a knee down, chances are you are centered, Why take the extra time to put down a knee, then get up and then make a throw. Takes too much time IMO.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
To be able to take a knee it pretty much has to be a smooth rolling grounder, little hopping anyway.

That should be fielded on the move in front of the foot beneath the fielders glove and come up throwing. Maybe a bit advanced for 10s, but 12s definitely should be playing this way. The speed will save runs, and enable many runners to be thrown out, especially at first base from RF and home plate from LF and CF. It will more than offset the occasional mishandled ball, and the fielder is supposed to have a backup behind her anyway if they are hustling and doing their job.

Of course, in some limited situations it doesnt matter, like grounder thru pitcher to CF for a single with no one on. Thats one of the few lackadaisical situations where there isnt a real threat for the runner to try to proceed to 2B.

Im not sure Ive ever seen an elite player over 8U or 10U take a knee to field a ball in the OF. Definitely should not be teaching that to 12-16s.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
maybe I am misunderstanding the conversation here??? If you are going to drop a knee to the ground to field a ground ball (either infield or outfield) it would have to be the throwing knee that goes down. If the throwing knee stays up, it is in the way of a smooth transaction from fielding glove to throwing hand to throw.

I am not sure I understand the whole safety stop thing???

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
My daughters middle school home field is a baseball field with a 100% skin infield and no outfield fence. The outfielders are taught safety stops with the throwing knee down as this allows them to get into the crop-hop throwing position. A ball between their legs or over their glove results in an automatic home run for all but the slowest of runners..

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
To be able to take a knee it pretty much has to be a smooth rolling grounder, little hopping anyway.

That should be fielded on the move in front of the foot beneath the fielders glove and come up throwing. Maybe a bit advanced for 10s, but 12s definitely should be playing this way. The speed will save runs, and enable many runners to be thrown out, especially at first base from RF and home plate from LF and CF. It will more than offset the occasional mishandled ball, and the fielder is supposed to have a backup behind her anyway if they are hustling and doing their job.

Of course, in some limited situations it doesnt matter, like grounder thru pitcher to CF for a single with no one on. Thats one of the few lackadaisical situations where there isnt a real threat for the runner to try to proceed to 2B.

Im not sure Ive ever seen an elite player over 8U or 10U take a knee to field a ball in the OF. Definitely should not be teaching that to 12-16s.

I have video clips of Tara Henry (UCLA), Caitlin Lowe (U of Arizona and -0- ERROS in 4 years of Collegiate ball!!) and a CF from Washington a few years back. All drop to a knee on the single grounder to Outfielder. (protects from a bad hop getting by when situation is runners don't have an opportunity to advance on a routine hit - AND seen too many times when routine singles skip by the outfielder and runners get 1-2 plus extra bases - EVERY year!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32