Outfielders Get Jipped During Indoor Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
What do you guys do for the outfielders during indoor practice season. That would be Winter for everyone in the balmy climates! Just looking for anything that may be different or maybe put a new twist on what I'm doing now. I do take advantage of some of the time to talk about covering, positioning, etc.

Jul 26, 2010
Depends on what kind of indoor facility you're using. Is it a gym? If not, how high are the ceilings? Do you have enough room to do stuff like the football drill and cut-off plays?

-W

Sep 17, 2009
Some ideas, even without a high ceiling:

- drop steps right and left to both ground balls and pop flies as high as you can throw them
- drop steps right and left with inside and outside turns to change direction
- all or nothing coming in to shoestring or drop to knee catches (with knee pads)
- run through throws - glove side/not glove side
- teach them good call off technique with each other and infielders
- groom a centerfielder to "run" the outfield
- ladder or hurdle drills with glove and ball in play

I think the main goal with outfielders should be to make them more athletic and even reckless in moving to ball/catching ball/throwing ball.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Even if a ball isn't coming on an arc (like a big pop fly would) the basic mechanic of catching on a dead sprint is something that outfielders need to practice over and over, so as stated above those drop step/sprint/catch on the run drills are critical. Probably half the outfielders I see play HS ball can't close the deal reliably on a ball they are still running on when they catch.

THe other thing you can do that they will consider fun (if you have a padded wall) is practice catching up against the fence. Obviously this isn't going to be a high percentage skill, but IME they all want to dream about robbing a kid of a home run even if the likelyhood of it happening isn't great.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Remind them they should be running on their toes so their heads don't bounce - this way they can see and catch the ball better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12