Outfield: Step back, or hold your ground?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
100% agree with this. But inexperienced to "semi-inexperienced" players should always default to the drop step as first move. At least in my humble opinion.

Nit pick here as we probably mean the same thing but I say "Always be ready on the balls of your feet."

Whatever, I just to 1500 post and a new row of balls !

Aug 17, 2015
It's common advice to outfielders to take an initial step back when a ball is hit. Seems to me that taking an automatic step back might cause an outfielder to fail to catch a misjudged ball that lands in front of her.

I prefer that an outfielder very gently/slowly creep up as the ball is being pitched, then split step (a tennis term) into athletic position at contact and then move/react to the ball. You might choose to initially go back on a high deep ball, but you don't automatically take a step back as your default move.

What do you say?

I prefer they drop step as it is always easier to come forward if short than go back if it is long. Better to have to come up on the ball if you misjudged rather than having to go back on it. Plus if you do have to come in on it after drop stepping you gain that forward momentum after you field the ball for the throw versus if you misjudge and go back you pick up and throw with no momentum.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I cannot believe this thread has gone to 3 pages. We talking elementary basic softball. If after 100 or so balls hit to an outfielder and they do not know how to properly move to a hit ball (with proper coaching) well then maybe they should take up band or soccer.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I cannot believe this thread has gone to 3 pages. We talking elementary basic softball. If after 100 or so balls hit to an outfielder and they do not know how to properly move to a hit ball (with proper coaching) well then maybe they should take up band or soccer.

What is proper coaching? We have different schools of thought. That's why it's gone 3 pages.

Jun 7, 2013
I don't believe that it is best to necessarily step in our step back automatically on a ball. I believe that a lot of information about where a ball is going can be read by a fielder before it is even hit. We are talking pitch location, bat speed, and bat angle. I believe your first step should be based on a read of that particular information. Of course, I don't expect 10U, 12U, ..., to be this advanced.

Jun 18, 2013
I don't think it is a true drop step in that the outfielder doesn't have to take the full deep step back and start to turn to run backwards. I teach mine to read the move a foot back while they are reading the ball so they can be in either a sprinters stance to run forward or be one step closer to a full drop step to run backwards if need be. However, if I am setting the defense up, I tend to have my outfield play deep and charge hard unless I know that the batter is absolutely no threat to hit one deep. I would prefer my outfielders to be making their plays while running in at all times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors