Outfield: Step back, or hold your ground?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's common advice to outfielders to take an initial step back when a ball is hit. Seems to me that taking an automatic step back might cause an outfielder to fail to catch a misjudged ball that lands in front of her.

I prefer that an outfielder very gently/slowly creep up as the ball is being pitched, then split step (a tennis term) into athletic position at contact and then move/react to the ball. You might choose to initially go back on a high deep ball, but you don't automatically take a step back as your default move.

What do you say?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I guess I am used to the drop step, doesn’t mean it is right. You do not want their backs to the fence but you would like to avoid a ball going over their head if at all possible so I am OK with the drop step.

Sep 29, 2014
It depends...yeah I know that's a cop out. Are you already deep or are you shallow against a slapper or are you closer to the line, etc.

If everything is normal then standing still split stance (whichever way you are most comfortable) and hold a split second. Any ball not straight at you and you should get a really quick jump on and run to the spot where you think the ball will be. If it is right at you either holding for another split second or drop step is fine the real trick is you can not break forward on the ball until you are sure it is going to drop in front of you. The drop step prevents your first step from being forward so it is a help in that sense.

If you are going to do the creep up technique it is OK but you should start deeper than you intend to play and stop well before contact, I just always liked being still right before contact so my eyes were in one place and focused. But I understand some people tense up being still for too long and creeping helps them stay loose

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I guess I am used to the drop step, doesn’t mean it is right. You do not want their backs to the fence but you would like to avoid a ball going over their head if at all possible so I am OK with the drop step.

I think the drop step is the right technique when it's time to go back.

I just question whether the outfielder should drop step routinely as a first move as the ball is struck. And it might be. Curious to get those opinions.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have yet to see a player go back then come forward and not get the ball.
Conversely, I wish I had $1 for every time they came forward only to get burned deep.
If in doubt, go deep! :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Depending on where the ball is hit outfielders need to be able to drop step with either foot.

Sep 29, 2014
Conversely, I wish I had $1 for every time they came forward only to get burned deep.

^^^This.

as I stated earlier if it is not straight at you your jump should be quick and decisive if you have any skills at all, this takes practice just seeing lots of ball coming off bats and tracking them down

but when it doubt which is usually a ball coming right at you...don't step forward.

I wish I had that dollar too (every time I saw someone step up and get burned) could have one hell of a party with that type of money

Aug 12, 2014

Yup, especially at the younger ages. One of the big reasons to have them take the step back is to counter the urge they have to run forward on every flyball and then watch the ball go sailing over their head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1