Outfield Fence distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Problem is most fields are maxed already due to facility layout. I can't see HS or colleges spending X amount of dollars to increase 10-20 feet.*

I will agree "new" fields are taking that into consideration. 205 in the corners and 220-225 in center.*

I like HR, it can change a game very quickly. :)

3sDad

Me too...I like the bomb and jog vs hit and run...wished folks would quit wanting to change things just to satisfy their wishes solely...Field size gripes are usually pitchers parents complaints...We have to play HS ball on a lot of SP fields, which sucks...that's the reason SP has 4 outfielders to guard the horse pasture...Keep in mind a fences 'distance' includes the height of the fence (its in the rule books)...Example a fence 200 ft from home to base of the fence with a 5ft fence the actual distance a ball would have to travel is 205ft to clear the fence...so a 210 ft fence with a 10ft fence is actually 220...

Problem is most fields are maxed already due to facility layout. I can't see HS or colleges spending X amount of dollars to increase 10-20 feet.*

I will agree "new" fields are taking that into consideration. 205 in the corners and 220-225 in center.*

I like HR, it can change a game very quickly. :)

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
What is wrong with a home run? Girls are getting better training sooner and they moved the pitchers back and now it is a hitters game. What is wrong with that? bats might be better but not as hot as a few years ago. they tuned down the bats from 100mph to 98mph a few years ago. what more do you want a return to 14 inning 0-1 games? give me offense or give me ice hockey.

Mar 11, 2009
I like the home run too, very exciting part of game. I just think they come easy right now thats all.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Every HS in this area of the state has it's own "home" field on the school property. These temp fences that you all speak of must be on borrowed or dual role fields. ( FP and SP ) No one uses our field but us.*

That's my argument about moving the fences back. Schools are already underfunded. *Pretty hard to justify money involved digging up a 5' fence and replacing with a 10', or extending the dimensions 10-25'.*

Our metro paper covers about 50 schools with box scores, *I see no more HR in softball compared to baseball that hits over 320-410' fields around here.*

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
How many HR/game would you like to see in college?

The average college team hits about 25-30 HR in a season of 50 games. Teams like Alabama and UCLA have about 80 in 50 games and lead the country, but I doubt they'll maintain that pace in the CWS.

I understand what you're saying about balls flying out that aren't struck that solid, but I don't think there are too many HR in college softball from a fan's perspective. Home runs are fun.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Our metro paper covers about 50 schools with box scores, *I see no more HR in softball compared to baseball that hits over 320-410' fields around here.*

Baseball home runs are sharply down this year in high school ball because of new bat regulations. Before that, you had FAR more home runs in high school baseball. We had teams in Georgia last year that hit 50 HR in 35 games. There have been players hit 20+ in a season. No softball teams are anywhere close to that. Now, the numbers are much closer, as baseball teams are probably down 30-40 percent, but I'm sure baseball teams are still hitting more HR. Just not that many girls at any one high school team who can hit one out.

May 7, 2012
NC
I like the home run but think the bats should be toned down. We played a tourney this weekend and I watched a 9 yr old hit the ball 215' in the air.... D-mar CF5.... I don't want to see this turn into whoever has the most money wins.....

Oct 14, 2008
Why not just let them play with wiffle bats and balls. The reason there are so many HR,s in hs and club ball is because the pitching at that level for the most part stinks. Kids cant nibble on corners, or change speed or height of the pitch so most of the pitches are right down the pipe in the hitters wheel house. What is the batter supposed to do. Not do their job because the pitchers are unable to do theirs?

None of this crap was ever an issue or even mentioned when pitching dominated the sport. The bats were hotter then but the hitting was sub par. Now the offense is getting the upper hand and Pitchers parents nation wide are having a melt down. Hitters had to work harder to get better. Maybe the pitchers need to read the writing on the wall and do the same.

Tim

May 7, 2012
NC
I would agree if it was just working harder, but I can tell the difference between a $30 bat from wal-mart and a $300 D-mar with the same batter.

Yes I would like to see my 10U dd be able to hit the corners and throw 50 mph. But I also would like to see her be able to hit 220 feet instead of 150 with the bat she has. No not from Wal-mart..... It is a Bustos D-mar.... It also increased her hits from 100 to 150... I dont know maybe it is just confidence?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild