Outfield Confrence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
Last inning, bases loaded, one out, game winning run on third. I'm pulling infield and outfield in. I want to remind my rf+lf to let foul balls go that are not in front of them. Can I call a conference on the mound with my outfield involved? I'm going to the rule book now, but can any of you answer without going to it?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Usually the rules do not saying anything about a specific position, or set of positions, so without looking I would guess you can talk to anyone you want anywhere you want.

Jun 22, 2008
It is called a defensive conference and it can be with any player or players anywhere on the field. You get 3 per 7 innings, after that if you want one you must change pitchers.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you want to talk with your outfielders during a defensive conference, you need to get them to sprint to the mound for the meeting. Most umpires have an "internal clock" for how long a defensive conference can last and you do not want to waste valuable time while your outfielders "sashay" in for the meeting.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Nothing says that a defensive conference needs to take place in the circle. If you want to talk to your outfielders, it is permissible to walk out to them to confer.

It's still a charged defensive conference.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Nothing says that a defensive conference needs to take place in the circle. If you want to talk to your outfielders, it is permissible to walk out to them to confer.

It's still a charged defensive conference.

A defensive conference can take place anywhere on the field, but a "do or die" (winning run at 3B) meeting usually involves the entire defense.

Mar 24, 2014
If you want to talk with your outfielders during a defensive conference, you need to get them to sprint to the mound for the meeting. Most umpires have an "internal clock" for how long a defensive conference can last and you do not want to waste valuable time while your outfielders "sashay" in for the meeting.

Pretty much what my DD's coaches do during a game if there is a need for an outfield conference.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can you just indicate to the outfield, what you want, with a verbal cue or maybe just wave your arms? Many times, the SS tells them.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
Can you just indicate to the outfield, what you want, with a verbal cue or maybe just wave your arms? Many times, the SS tells them.

In this situation though I'm not calling a conference just to pull them in, otherwise yes :)

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
If you request time to talk to anyone on defense no matter where it takes places you are using a charged defensive conference. It does not matter if the pitcher is involved or not.

But it can't happen on the "mound". There isn't one in our game. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie