Oregon - Tennessee ball thrown at runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
In Saturday's WCWS Oregon at Tennessee game, bottom of the 6th, 1 out. R1 on first. Next batter grounds to 2B, 2B tosses to SS who steps on the base for the out, then tries to throw to 1B for the double play. But instead she throws the ball straight into the face of R1, who's still 8 to 10 feet from the base. Fortunately R1 wears a facemask, the ball ricochets off the mask into her shoulder, but she's more or less ok. She's out of course, but then, to add insult to injury, they apparently call interference on her and therefore the batter/runner is also out.

Why? I thought if you were (accidentally) hit by a thrown ball then tough luck for everyone involved, but it doesn't mean you interfered. (The commentators claimed this was automatic, but their accuracy quotient has been pretty low.)

It didn't look like R1 tried to break up the double play on purpose (not sure if that would make a difference), she was simply not even close to the base so did not yet slide. Actually, 2B ran right in front of her across the basepath, so R1 may not even have realized that she was already out.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I could be wrong. But I think the key here is she was out and interfered with the throw. Once out I think she is required to make an attempt to avoid the throw if possible which she did not do. Don't have a rule or citaion I can quote for you though. Was in interesting play, as soon as she was hit I said to my DD bet they give them the DP on this one.

Jun 22, 2008
There have actually been 2 of these calls in the past couple of weeks, the first was Notre Dame and UA, and then this one. I spoke with a friend of mine who does college ball. He indicated he had talked with the UIC after the first call in the Notre Dame/UA game, and the UIC had said the call was blown, it should not have been ruled interference. Considering it just happened the week before, not sure how it could possibly have been missapplied again if in fact the NCAA UIC made this statement.

This exact play has been discussed extensively on the umpire boards, and the virtually unanimous consensus is neither of these calls were interference. Legally running the bases is not an act of interference, the runner must actually commit an act of interference such has throwing hands up, veering off into the fielder, sliding outside the baseline to purposely take out the fielder etc.

So, to answer your question, I have no idea why it was called. Until the NCAA specifically addresses the calls publicly I dont know if we will ever know why they were called. But, if this is how they have decided to rule on the play, it is now open season on runners. All the defense is going to have to do is purposely peg the runner to get the 2nd out.

Jul 28, 2008
NCAA rules are written a bit differently, but I feel it was the incorrect call. The runner cannot disappear. The defense should still try to clear themselves of the retired runner. Otherwise we will see 'bean balls' being thrown at runners to get them out. This ain't kick ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
NCAA rules are written a bit differently, but I feel it was the incorrect call. The runner cannot disappear. The defense should still try to clear themselves of the retired runner. Otherwise we will see 'bean balls' being thrown at runners to get them out. This ain't kick ball.

Actually, in this case, they are not. Though spread all over rule 12, the cause and effect are basically the same as ASA.

It does seem, however, that the interpretation from someone in the SUP staff may be different and that would be pitiful. Why? Because it becomes open season on runners. What happens to the runner's face if she isn't wearing a cage? The only people who win in this instance is the NAPIL. Of course, the loser is your DD and the intergrity of the game of softball at what is allegedly highest domestic level of the game.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I still rememeber the most famous incident of a no call on intereference. It was in the MLB world series not the WCWS where Reggie Jackson threw his hip into the throw from 2nd to 1st sending an easy double play relay into right field and possibly changing the course of the NYY-LAD world series. Good times for a young Yankee fan.

I guess I was wrong on the ruling, thanks for correcting me guys. I always learn something on this board. In principal I agree the runner should have the right to the base path and the fielder should have to avoid a runner in the base paths with the throw. But in practice the runner should hit the deck for safety reasons.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How could anyone tell "intent" here to hit the runner? The fielder was attempting to complete a double play. The throw was in a direct line to first. The "clarification" give was that the DP was called because the runner didn't make any attempt to get out of the way of the throw despite the fact that she was a substantial distance away from the bag. I would agree at least 10 to 15 feet.

I was so thankful that the young lady had the facemask on. I played in a game (I was at 3rd this game) where our SS threw the ball in the same situation and the young man, a close friend of mine, did not have a facemask on. It was his last baseball game and he was resuscitated on the field. It was so scary. He had to have a metal plate put in to his head and did survive.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
How could anyone tell "intent" here to hit the runner? The fielder was attempting to complete a double play. The throw was in a direct line to first. The "clarification" give was that the DP was called because the runner didn't make any attempt to get out of the way of the throw despite the fact that she was a substantial distance away from the bag. I would agree at least 10 to 15 feet.

There is NO rule ever requiring a runner to vacate an area even after being retired. If the runner is where she is supposed to be, the fielder should know that isn't where she should throw the ball. IOW, it doesn't make any difference how far the runner was from the base, there is NO rule in the NCAA book to support the call made on the field.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There is NO rule ever requiring a runner to vacate an area even after being retired. If the runner is where she is supposed to be, the fielder should know that isn't where she should throw the ball. IOW, it doesn't make any difference how far the runner was from the base, there is NO rule in the NCAA book to support the call made on the field.

Do you believe that this technique is being used by runners in an attempt to prevent the double play?

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
Is this a technique that is being used by fielders to turn a double play?

Yes in dodgeball!! Cant be the right call or it would be open season on runners. Tag the bag and hit the runner with the ball is much easier than a bang bang double.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole