Opinions on DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just to further it a bit....the goal is to have the shoulder stay in longer and by doing so get the weight to release off the back heel earlier...everything is connected meaning that if the front shoulder lifts/flies too early - the weight gets to stay on the back heel too long...

So, don't work the front shoulder in isolation....learn to get off the back heel earlier and keep the front shoulder in longer....she will feel really late while trying this....

Keep at it!!

This goal would be much easier if she "coiled forward". Not only do we want the "hips forward AS the hands load rearward", but we want the hips brought forward via a coiling action wrt the rear leg. Currently she is doing the opposite ... she is "uncoiling" her rear leg as she moves her hips forward .....

qp07xk.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
qp07xk.gif

What we see in this segment of the swing is the "lower body opening against the upper body" .... which is good, you basically want the hips to lead ... BUT, it is happening too early in the swing sequence. Instead, "coil forward" ... bring the hips forward via coil instead of uncoil. Just going into toe-touch, or front-foot down, ... just as the front foot is about to make contact with the ground, ... then begin this reversal of the hips ... "opening the lower against the upper".

Cues that may help ... "show the pitcher your back pocket [pocket on butt cheek of the lead leg]", "draw the bow as the hips coil forward", "BHUT as the hips coil forward", "pull back with the lower back as the hips are coiled forward", "pull the ball out of the glove as the hips coil forward".

Basically ... "coil forward AS the hands load rearward" .... instead of "uncoil forward".

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
When you stride to an open stance the hips will unwind prematurely, so we are never getting to the optimal launch position. Also we are starting our swing a little early (hands going forward before toe touch).

I recommend striding to toe touch (straight ahead), keeping her hips cocked, keeping her hands back and PAUSE. At the 'PAUSE' check her hips and hands locations to make sure she is still coiled in a strong launching position. Remind her their is an imaginary pole down through her head and core into the ground that she going to rotate on. Now to start the swing from the 'pause', the first move should be "Throwing the Back Hip at the Front Knee" although impossible, this should start things in a good sequence.

Give it a try!

Feb 14, 2010
Cyclone,

IMO she's still initiating the swing with her upper body. The rear hip has to engage before anything else. She's using all upper body and that's why she's still squishing the bug. Really focus on the lower half for awhile, it will help everything else downstream.

Jan 24, 2011
I knew these swings werent her best , but I posted them anyway. The "squish the bug" just crept back in tonight in these swings. She had been doing a really good job of not doing that. Everything seems to look good while we are working on things , then when she goes full speed , full swing , it starts to fall apart a bit. She actually just watched this video back and was EXTREMELY angry with herself. I am afraid she is starting to get down on herself a little.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
The good thing about this thread thus far is that I have been helped in identifying the issues (mainly lower body) with her swing. Now , I have to do my job and help her fix the flaws. Whew.... this is tough and humbling. :)

Oct 25, 2009
The "check swing" drill would be VERY effective at this point. I think some call it the "deltoid" drill. The check swing drill is very similar but doesn't start with the bat on the deltoid, which I consider a negative.

To get in position to do the "check swing" drill, complete a swing and freeze at finish. Now, leave the hips and everything except the hands where you finished the swing. Bring just the hands back to a good throwing position, where they were when you separated. Take about 6 swings from that position, hitting the ball off the tee, leaving the hips at finish each time. That will give her the feeling of the lower half.

Video some of her drill swings; they can be very valuable. Last time I'll mention this.

Feb 14, 2010
Cyclone,

This may sound stupid but take the ball out of the equation. When they see the ball their focus turns to ball instead of the process. I wouldn't let Brooke swing at ball for over a month and if her mechanics started to go south I would remove it. Not going to lie to you, this is a very tedious journey and patience is the key. Keep her head up, she must fail in order to succeed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC