Opinions on DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
We will work on the rear arm , but still that has nothing to do with me positioning the tee wrong in our session last night. The elbow being bent was something that either of us was focusing on at that point. Like I said , it was something that just got by me. Thus , my fault.

Some of the kids I work with still move the tee too far out front when I'm not looking. That's because they can build up greater speed because of the distance to the ball. It feels much better to them.

Once she learns to stay connected she will either try to move closer to the tee or she will move the tee back herself.

I understand what you're saying; they will do what we tell them until they own it for themselves. That will come. I tell them to try to do it like I tell them but try to feel it for themselves and by doing so it may not look quite the same.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
We didn't make it to the camp. I didn't want DD geting any conflicting informtion pertaining to what we are working on. Not saying she would have but we weren't taking the chance. Thanks again to you and your DD for helping us in the process. Let me know if you all play any tourneys in Ktown and I will let you know when we are playing in your area. Always nice to meet DF family members.

Feb 14, 2010
Cyclone,

Don't take anything personally, you have to look @ the big picture. I messed up a few times with Brooke but we always remained on course for the big picture and we are very close to the big pay out. It's so satisfying for both her & I to be where we are, but we are far from being done. IMO the worse thing you can do is try to change too many things at once, focus on whatever you want but make sure it done's the way it needs to be before moving onto something else. Personally I focused on one thing for weeks at a time till it was perfect. It's a LONG process don't rush it just to move onto something else, you have plenty of time. Brooke and I have been on this journey for a solid year.

Jan 24, 2011
Cyclone,

Don't take anything personally, you have to look @ the big picture. I messed up a few times with Brooke but we always remained on course for the big picture and we are very close to the big pay out. It's so satisfying for both her & I to be where we are, but we are far from being done. IMO the worse thing you can do is try to change too many things at once, focus on whatever you want but make sure it done's the way it needs to be before moving onto something else. Personally I focused on one thing for weeks at a time till it was perfect. It's a LONG process don't rush it just to move onto something else, you have plenty of time. Brooke and I have been on this journey for a solid year.

The biggest challenge for me right now is to convince a 13 year old girl that this is a process. She is looking for immediate gratification and "proof". :)

Jan 24, 2011
I actually have this article around here somewhere. I also have a DVD " Hitting the Tennessee Way" done by Ralph/Karen Weekly that is very good as well.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The following is Cevallos' "Cushion Drill" which may assist with the lower body usage in gaining a feel of using the lower body so as to avoid the upper body disconnection that is still present.

2viibev.jpg

A description of the drill follows ... I've added some loose translations to Cevallos' terminology ... basically altering the name Cevallos uses for the launch position.

The "Cushion Drill" will help you "tighten up" the big muscle movements. In your batting stance, hold the bat behind your shoulders so the knob of the bat points in the direction of the pitcher.

Go from your stance, into your stride, and stop in the launch position. The knob of the bat should face down the first base line for righties and third base line for lefties; the front knee and foot should face the second baseman for righties and the shortstop for lefities. Once you've achieved a good launch position, finish the swing, using your hips to "throw" your shoulders. At finish, the knob of the bat should be facing in the direction of the catcher. Hold your finish for three seconds.

The second part of the Cushion Drill is just like the first, except that you will not pause in your launch position to check your position.

Oct 25, 2009
Swings from tonight... Rear arm still not as bent as I would like at contact and front shoulder needs to be down longer , but I think she is working at it.....Discuss....

12.28.11 - YouTube

This is progress. I like the way she got her hands back at separation. She coiled the hips (showed the pitcher her hip pocket) but she didn't hold it to toe touch. When she started her swing she started it with the hands instead of the hip. The hip leads; the hands should be the last to move. I also like the tilt. The tee placement is good.

Most serious fault in this video is not leading with the hip.

She's going to be good.

I still think the 2-stride drill I posted earlier would be good to do. Maybe even include it in a video.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Yep. I am completely aware of the shoulder issue. She is killing me with it. But , this is a process , so we are working at it. She is doing her best to digest all the info. So , mork work to night. See what happens.

R

RayR

Just to further it a bit....the goal is to have the shoulder stay in longer and by doing so get the weight to release off the back heel earlier...everything is connected meaning that if the front shoulder lifts/flies too early - the weight gets to stay on the back heel too long...

So, don't work the front shoulder in isolation....learn to get off the back heel earlier and keep the front shoulder in longer....she will feel really late while trying this....

Keep at it!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC