Opinions on 2011 TPS Catalyst

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
I recently bought my DD a 2011 TPS Catalyst. She loves the feel of it but her hits with it, even in soft toss, don't seem to have a lot of pop. The bat is supposed to be hot right out of the box. She also has a 2010 TPS Mendoza that seemed dead out of the box but, after several hundred hits, has opened up and pops really nicely. The only problem is my DD doesn't like the feel as well as the Catalyst.

Should I search for yet another bat or wait for the Catalyst to break in? My DD is 5'3", 140 lbs and plays at the HS level.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My yellow (old) Cat opened up last year, while I was swinging it. I felt it. I am not familiar with the 2011 edition.

I would have her try a 32 inch RT, just to give her some weight to swing.

I will try to attach a link about bat weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 14, 2008
I bought a 2008 catalyst a few years ago and i noticed the same thing! It's almost like it is still brand new and needs to be broken in... but i've used if for a year and i'm still waiting for it to have the feel that i was expecting. I have only been using it in practice during soft toss, off of a tee, even a few times off of the machine (oops!) and it is very disappointing. When i use it, it usually stings, and I usually get wimpy grounders out of it.... I know that it's not my sing because I also have a CF3 and it is soooo much better. I hit homeruns with that bat! Maybe i'm just used to how the DeMarini feels vs. the Catalyst? I don't know... but I definitely see where you're coming from! I wish that my Catalyst performed better than it does... i paid good money for it!!! haha

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
Thanks for the info. I actually sold the Catalyst and bought her a CF4 Black. Now she's hitting infield "shots" or warning track fly balls. Big difference between the two bats.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
DD used her new CF4 this weekend, had her first 'legit' HR
and hit 2 more over the LF head. Hit a hard ground ball that took SS
off her feet. The 'trampoline effect' of the CF4 is unmatched

May 25, 2010
When i use it, it usually stings, and I usually get wimpy grounders out of it.... I know that it's not my sing because I also have a CF3 and it is soooo much better. I hit homeruns with that bat! Maybe i'm just used to how the DeMarini feels vs. the Catalyst? I don't know... but I definitely see where you're coming from! I wish that my Catalyst performed better than it does... i paid good money for it!!! haha

If you have a bat that you really like, why would you use anything else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g