Opinion's about 1st and 3 rd situations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Team is 1st year 14u "A" bracket team.

Like most good teams out there we do not just let a runner take 2nd base on 1st and 3rd situations. When we have less than 2 outs we run the cut play where 2B cuts across and either cuts the ball or fake cut(to freeze runner at 3rd) and lets it go thru.

Now with 2 outs runner going from 1st to 2nd will stop on the throw and attempt to get in run down to allow runner from 3rd to score. How we handle this currently is:

1: we will run the same cut play but must be a cut no going thru
2: straight pick to 3rd
3: get ball back to circle Fast so runner on 3rd must advace or retreat if retreat we try to get girl at 2nd. If she freezes she is out via the LBR

These are the play we currently run but I was think about added another where I bring my 2B in even with baseline on the steal and she is about 15 ft in front of 2nd base and the throw goes directly to her in that spot. Her job is to tag runner (if possible) before runner from 3rd can score. If she is not able to tag runner she is to run the runner back to 1st while watching the runner at 3rd.

Just want to her others opinions on the way we handle 1st and 3rd and also how other do it.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I saw a very good 12u team doing this last week. 1st and 3rd with less than 2 outs, the catcher fired it to the 2nd baseman who moved in and up the line toward 2nd base. When the runners froze she threw to the pitcher and runners had to go/retreat. The 1st time they did it, the offensive team should have gotten an out due to the LBR. They just froze. The coach was yelling for an out, but the ump didn't call it.

!8u A/Gold
All depends on situation as to what play were going to run...the score, inning, # of outs, time, base runner speed.
we yell out 1 of 4 plays...to pitcher...to 2b cutting...a regular throwdown to short getting runner at 2nd....or a throw to SS( i like this play best, the runner on 3rd is often fooled=easy pick at home). We yell out 3 #'s..... "1-3-4' .
If we have a good lead late(4/5+ runs) we take the out at 2nd. In a tight game early we fire a cannon to ss(still in position) or pitcher and get the runner coming off 3rd (its a bang-bang play). Or throw to 2b baiting a rundown w runner on 1st knowing our goal is preventing runner at 3rd from scoring. We have solid results. What happens a lot is if 1st and 3rd come up early(by 3rd inning) and we get the out at home, the next time offense hears a play called it gets in thier heads and really slows them down. Often staying put.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish