Indoor training facility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
I am in the southwest corner of Georgia and it is hot as hades during the summer months and the humidity is horrible. The heat index today was 100 with a 82% humidity. Oh yeah and not to mention all the gnats. I think having the climate controled facility to train in would be a plus, epecially for kids that are not in high school. Most surrounding high schools do have covered cages with maybe one mound, but that's about it. We are also close enough to Florida State University, that I have recruited some former players to help give instruction. This should help draw some attention. I am having a one day clinic very soon at the local recreation park with Terese Gober and Robin Ahrberg. I like the idea of the lounge area and I will try and make room for that. I have seen them in larger facilities. My facility will be 50' by 135' with 10 ceilings. What is a good start up scenario, 3 cages, a few mounds, Jugs machines or Iron mike? I am working on about a 25k budget. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming. I am a sponge when it comes to this stuff. I am very passionate for the game and I love teaching it to kids.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have a place in Nashua, NH. We are about to open a bigger location. Cage rentals are seasonal. Instruction and player development shouldn't be. Have programs that allow kids to train, keep up their skills but not force a year-round, softball only commitment. We do memberships for the committed players in high school, seasonal programs for specific skills/tools like arm strength, infield, hitting, throwing, etc, and then private lessons. With our new facility, we will also rent out to teams. Also, we are going to do everything we can to get Howard and CB up here this winter!

Be careful with teams. Staff well. Don't just money grab. Best of luck!!! PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck Tewks, make it happen and we'll be there!

Oct 19, 2009
There are a number of facilities in our area, the one I liked the best closed when VW built a plant in the area and although VW promoted themselves as a kids friendly company. They wanted the facility because it met their needs and purchased the building out from under the owner and closed the facility. The facility had batting and pitching cages and a field with a 2 story ceiling, had a standard size infield, an outfield smaller than a HS field, but large enough you could play on, they had a concession stand when games were going. They had little league games, tournaments, HS teams, college teams, and the Chattanooga Lookouts used the facility at times. The Cincinnati Reds had a tryout camp there and the owners invited us to come and watch.

They were open 7 days a week, you could rent the facility for parties, sleepovers, soccer on the big field, or touch football and of course SB/BB games. They had quest such as Ken Griffey SR and JR do a camp and sign autographs and other ball players, they gave lessons for hitting and pitching during the week. You could come by any time they were open and hit off the hitting machines, BB or SB, or use one of the pitching cages. You could pay as you came or purchase membership for 3/6/12 months at reduced rates. They managed to keep some type of activity going most of the time.

One thing I liked they had regular hours and when they advised they were open they were open, it is frustrating driving 30minutes or more and find a facility closed when they advertise they are open and that happen to us 2 times at one of the more advertised facility, we never went back.

Not everyone could have such a facility, one guy has a warehouse where he rents space for storage and the other end is an indoor hitting facility, with an infield, batting cages and a basketball court when the infield is not being used. You call and lease the facility as needed.

We went to one facility the owner spent a ton of money, the instruction for softball pitching and hitting was very bad, I mean bad :mad:. You could see kids rolling their eyes. I don’t know if they are still in business or not I never hear about it anymore and they are only15 minutes away from us.

Good luck!!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Local joint has indoor soccer too, about 50% adults. When the batting cages are empty, there are players on the field, and the kids they bring with them are big consumers of drinks and video games. They stock their own drinks, so profit must be good, not sure if the cut on video games is any good.

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Choosing to have custom, portable cages will help you grow and promote your business.

I am in Georgia, and if you're interested, would love to chat sometime. I'm a former collegiate softball player who operates a business building custom batting cages. Instead of limiting yourself to standard cages, our cages can be stored away when not in use, broken into sections for drills, and portable, so they can be taken off-site to promote your business, and/or "go to the customer" as another option to generate income, especially while you are starting out. You could even choose to "rent out" your portable cages as another revenue stream. Just an idea, but I believe it's a great fit. If interested, look at my website InMotion Air - Top Sports and Marketing Inflatables and contact me after you've read more about what we do. I think there's more than enough softball/baseball business to be generated in Georgia. Best wishes for a successful facility and business!

Last edited: