Online HS stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2016
My girls couldn't care less about stats. They only look at who's Player of the Game. My best hitter didn't even know she was batting over .400 and yesterday asked me why I put her first in the batting lineup. One of my worst players statistically, who had not gotten a hit all season but was the star player last year, tore it up yesterday and got player of the game, finally.

Oct 10, 2011
HS stats can be notoriously bad. Our stats have been posted on Maxpreps and/or Minnesota Softball Hub for years. Stories and box-scores are in the local paper every week. HS sports statistics are newsworthy and once a kid gets to varsity that stuff is public. Some girls hit .650 and some hit .150 and that is life. Coaches and parents should get the focus off the stats and on the team. Every player has her role. DD2 is a junior and didn't even know that stuff was posted until this year when another girl mentioned my DD's batting average to her.

The top players are also printed in the paper once a week. One team has multiple players batting over .700 but they are terrible LOL.

Jun 11, 2013
At some point they start posting stats. They post honor rolls , they pick all-start teams,etc.

It's important that each and every coach and parent teach the kids that their batting average is simply a measure
of how you have hit that season. It's not a measure of you as a person in any way.

Jun 17, 2015
Our HS coach puts them online. Stats are good & bad. If my DD goes 0-3, but 1 of those AB's is hitting behind a girl and moving her into scoring position, and another is a hard hit ball, that's ok with me.
Coach also keeps "stats" that only the girls get on a google drive, or something like that. It's a point system. Not exactly how it goes, but something like
1 point - bunt, move lead runner into scoring position, sac fly, hard hit ball out, walk, etc.
2 points - base hit
3 points - hard hit base hit

Rough idea, I believe he also factors in QAB's as well.

From what I hear, it's a much more meaningful way of stats than just OBP and BA

Feb 7, 2013
You ever look at the process for picking state Gatorade Player of the Year? Anyone can be nominated and frequently High School stats are used to justify the winners. Who's there to monitor that the HS stats are legitimate and reflect reality? The vast majority of MaxPrep stats are scored by parents of the players on the team (see any conflict of interest?). How about the strength of competition? Just this week, I noticed that one of our local HS teams faced a team that walked 18 of their batters. Talk about inflating their OBP% (on-base %) averages!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30