Online HS stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My daughters high school team has a little argument going on about the coach putting stats on maxpreps. It makes some look good but embarrasses others. Mine is doing OK so she doesnt care but I think I side with those who believe they should stay private or should have everyone's permission.

These are kids and not college players. How does it help a kid to embarrass her publicly with a .160 batting average? Everybody who needs to know is aware of who is hitting and who isn't. Apparently some parents whose kids were doing great asked the coach to put them up and the coach didn't ask what anybody else thought.

What do you think?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
More than likely they are not private and like score books, coaches notes, tryout sheets are subject to FOIA requests. In most states if requested the must be produced. If your stats are an embarrassment, maybe work harder or switch to something like glee club where they do not keep score. :)

Mar 4, 2015
New England
More than likely they are not private and like score books, coaches notes, tryout sheets are subject to FOIA requests. In most states if requested the must be produced. If your stats are an embarrassment, maybe work harder or switch to something like glee club where they do not keep score. :)

What if she is already working hard and this is the best she can do? You believe that embarrassing players will make them better?

Im not asking if the coach has a right to put up the statistics although I doubt that he does. I'm asking if it's a good idea. Is it worth it? If it is a good strategy to help kids why not put up their academic grades and SAT scores?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What if she is already working hard and this is the best she can do? You believe that embarrassing players will make them better?

Im not asking if the coach has a right to put up the statistics although I doubt that he does. I'm asking if it's a good idea. Is it worth it? If it is a good strategy to help kids why not put up their academic grades and SAT scores?

What I have been saying for years! If they are working hard and it is the best they can do, why would they be embarrassed? The one that should be embarrassed is the so called "TB stud" who is only hitting .300.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In HS ball I have found that often the player that contributes significantly is the REC Ball player that comes in with minimal experience, improves significantly and gives the team that timely hit or solid defense that puts them over the hump. TB Players will do what they do and if they are not dominant in HS then maybe they are not all that and a bag of chips. Sometimes the real heroes are the regular kids that work hard and give you that X-factor that in the grand scheme of things really makes a difference. Depending on where they started that .160 batting average may be a source of pride. Conversely I have seen some highly touted TB players in my area that should be embarrassed with their HS performance.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
All teams in my area put their stats online. Every player can check to see how they are doing as well as their teammates. It is consider common and so no one questions it. At the beginning of each school year, we have a district coaches meeting. In that meeting, we are told to keep those stats up to date. With the latest technology, our team stats person puts the stats up before he leaves the dugout.

Oct 10, 2011
My issue with posting the stats is that those keeping the books a lot of times either don't know what they're doing, or are cooking the books:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
My issue with posting the stats is that those keeping the books a lot of times either don't know what they're doing, or are cooking the books:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HS stats can be notoriously bad. Our stats have been posted on Maxpreps and/or Minnesota Softball Hub for years. Stories and box-scores are in the local paper every week. HS sports statistics are newsworthy and once a kid gets to varsity that stuff is public. Some girls hit .650 and some hit .150 and that is life. Coaches and parents should get the focus off the stats and on the team. Every player has her role. DD2 is a junior and didn't even know that stuff was posted until this year when another girl mentioned my DD's batting average to her.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
My daughters high school team has a little argument going on about the coach putting stats on maxpreps. It makes some look good but embarrasses others. Mine is doing OK so she doesnt care but I think I side with those who believe they should stay private or should have everyone's permission.

These are kids and not college players. How does it help a kid to embarrass her publicly with a .160 batting average? Everybody who needs to know is aware of who is hitting and who isn't. Apparently some parents whose kids were doing great asked the coach to put them up and the coach didn't ask what anybody else thought.

What do you think?

I'm pretty sure the girls don't even know what Max prep is or have any clue what their batting Avg is. I like Max prep stats cause it gives up softball crazy dads something else to look at :) I like to keep up with players we have played with or against to see how their season are going and it always nice to see how you stack up against the best players in your state numbers wise , but really all that matters is how many wins the team has. I guess a coach would like the stats posted so they can justify why the upperclassman who is hitting 160 got replaced by the Freshman who is hitting 500. I doubt their motive is to embarrass kids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish