One Piece vs 2 Piece bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
So besides the obvious, what is the difference between a one piece and two piece bat?

So far, it seems to me that the 2 pc bats are more forgiving when hitting the ball and not stinging the hands on miss hits.

What else?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not a bat expert, but I would imagine a 2-piece bat could produce more "whip" because there will be more flex between the pieces. The biggest advantage is the one you mentioned. A two piece bat will reduce the sting on miss hits.

Oct 10, 2011
Besides those mentioned...
A one piece shouldbe more durable.
A 1-piece should generally cost less as it costs less to manufacture.
Some say a one piece is better for power hitters as less energy is wasted on impact but others say the whip of a 2 piece is better for power hitters.
On one site of the best fastpitch bats ever, the number one bats on the list are 2-piece, and the same bat in a one piece is listed just slightly lower.
DD prefers a 2-piece with a "stiff" connection.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I know nothing about 2-piece bats other than they feel "wrong" at contact to this old guy. So, can someone explain how a 2-piece bat produces whip?

Oct 10, 2011
From a big online retailer...
One-piece bats provide little or no give and have a stiff feel when contact is made with the ball. Due to the fact that one-piece bats have a very minimal amount of flex at contact, little or no energy is lost which results in more power. For this reason, one-piece bats are preferred by stronger players with above average bat speed such as a power hitter.

Two-piece bats provide more flex at contact with the ball. The two-piece construction creates a “whip” effect that results in an increase in bat speed. An increase in bat speed results in an increase in power. For this reason players with average or below average bat speed such as a contact hitter, prefer two-piece bats

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I see a 2-piece bat bend. I don't know much, but from reading all the pitching and throwing threads here I'm pretty sure you need resistance at some point during the motion in order to generate a whiping action?

Oct 10, 2011
I see a 2-piece bat bend. I don't know much, but from reading all the pitching and throwing threads here I'm pretty sure you need resistance at some point during the motion in order to generate a whiping action?
BuckeyeGuy, you're going to have to move that kind of question to the technical hitting thread:)
With the different bat brands/models you'll get different degrees of flex in the connection of the bat. For instance even though the CF series bat is an outstanding bat, it has a lot of flex in it...too much for my daughter's taste and we've seen pictures of it looking like it was going to snap it was flexed so much. Xeno, LXt, seem to have less flex and Easton seems to be very stiff.

Jul 24, 2012

I'm with you here. All I've seen for bat whip pictures are pictures of the bat head trailing due to flex in the handle. The only way I can see actual whip action being generated is if at the moment of contact when your hands slow down due to the impact force, the stored energy in the handle makes the head whip forward. Otherwise, I just can't wrap my head around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06