Once the stride foot lands, can the drag foot leave the ground?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
At a local tournament today, some of our parents were complaining the other team's pitcher was not dragging her back foot all the way to her stride foot. Her drag foot would leave the ground without much of a drag, once her stride foot landed. As far as I could tell she always had at least one foot on the ground. Is that a legal pitch?

Mar 1, 2016
ASA rule 6, section 3 K says that dragging the pivot foot is required in order to be a legal pitch, but it doesn’t say how far. USSSA rule 6, section 1 E 3 says the pivot foot can stay on the pitching plate or drag away prior to the stride foot touching the ground as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground. That tells me that it can come up once the stride foot hits. NCAA 10.4.5 says the pitcher may not become airborne and must drag her foot and 10.4.6 says that the pivot foot may not bear weight until the pitch is released. None of these rule sets say that the pivot foot has to drag all the way up to the stride foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
OP is how DD pitches, she is a righty, her right foot comes to about mid part of her left calf. I think it is called a figure four,

Other pitchers drag their right toe to left heal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez