On/Off Campus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2009
My 13 year old DD ask me an interesting question at the dinner table tonight.
"Dad if I play softball in college will I have to live on campus after my freshmen year?"
Could some of you fill us in?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There were no special rules as to housing for my DDs (one played hoops, the other softball). They had to follow the housing rules for the school. Some schools require kids to stay in a dorm in their sophomore year as well as their freshman year.

Athletes are encouraged to room with other athletes...which may or may not be such a good idea.

Jul 9, 2010
Varies by school. At many schools, upper classmen live off-campus. Some schools require to live on, if it's available.

Probably will be her preference after sophomore year. But, if she's off campus, you get to but her a car to get to practice, etc.

At many schools, you room with another athlete, but not necessarily a teammate. That way, you have the athlete lifestyle in common (which is very tough), but get away from your teammates (which is very important).

Oct 19, 2009
At the schools my daughter talked to so far they require freshman and sophomore and suggest all four years. I agree with freshman and sophomore to get the kids adjusted to college life, then the juniors and seniors could help the younger kids to get adjusted. JMO

One of my daughter’s friends goes to a college and plays SB where she is a freshman and lives in an apartment. Her dad advised she is getting out of hand and not doing good in her school work. :(

Jul 9, 2010
Not sure the off-campus upperclassmen will help your daughter adjust the way you were hoping. There are no rules off-campus, and that sometimes gets taken advantage of. Your daughter will need a very strong sense of who she is and what she believes in to maintain academic and athletic focus as a freshman.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd lives on campus in an apartment. Typically, apartments at most universities are reserved for older students and those with families. However, they also are reserved for athletes. We live 34 miles from my dd's university. She could stay at home. However, they start lifting at 6:00 a.m. They lift/workout until 7:30. My dd starts class at 8:00 a.m. and so, she needs to stay on campus. Also, the weather will be a factor. Finally, they will have so many team bonding exercises that it is almost impossible to live off campus. For example, once a week, they have a team meal. They have a team community service almost every week. Factor that in with the academics and my dd just does not have that extra 80 minutes that it would take for her to drive back and forth in rush hour traffic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32