On deck weights

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
A Quote from a very good hitting coach that has hundreds of students.

I highly recommend using the Edge Weighted Batting Gloves as it incorporates the principles of centripetal force by adding weight directly to the hands. If you can make the hands move quicker then you increase bat speed and muscle memory of what a correct swing feels like.

We do not use weighted sleeves or weighted donuts on the bats as this only increases the hands moving away from you and we want the knob of the bat to stay inside the path of the bat and release the bat barrel to the ball with the wrist.

Look at swing two. Now how long it takes to adjust is a good question.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I use dognuts as part of my teachings during live bp. The kids that use their hands/arms struggle with it. The dognut forces you to recruit other muscles to get the bat through the zone. The kids that have good swings hit the ball like normal.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Undergroundga, Perhaps your daughter is using too light of a game bat. It is very common for me to find young girls that could actually swing a heavier bat. I hope you are enjoying your new world of softball. Amy
To my dismay Amy you might be right. It took some persuading to get my wife convinced dd need an expensive composite bat, and many hours of research into what kind of bat to buy. Apparently not enough research. At the time I hadn't found this forum. I was mostly worried about length and thought that a lighter bat would increase her bat speed. Never thought bat might be too light, until reading a past thread on here. Oooops, rookie mistake.(Not the first, doubt it will be last)
She is definitely not a petite girl, but no hoss either. I think she is perhaps stronger than I thought.
Still yet, bat did improve her distance on hits but I think next bat will be heavier. Her comp. is 17.5 and her aluminum is 20. She has no problem swinging aluminum bat so we will probably go back to 20.
And, I am enjoying the world of softball a lot(wife says maybe too much). Mostly because it has gotten me involved in dd's life like never before. Over the last year we have connected on a whole new level and have grown closer than I could ever imagine.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I use dognuts as part of my teachings during live bp. The kids that use their hands/arms struggle with it. The dognut forces you to recruit other muscles to get the bat through the zone. The kids that have good swings hit the ball like normal.

If you're working on getting the bat through the zone more aggressively by using more core than arms, isn't there a better way as a doughnut-weighted bat will significantly alter swing mechanics and timing. The TCB weighted balls seem like one better option.

FWIW - my condolences to your dog

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
How about Edgar's Dog? Try it sometime you will know who swings and who doesn't.

martinez.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877