On Deck Tryout Invite

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My 14U (2019)DD has had a crazy journey these past 12 months. Before this year she has only played Rec league and All-Stars every summer for the past 5 years and has never played on a year round team until this last fall. It was time to make the jump. The tryouts in itself was a great learning experience last summer. I think we totalled 18 hours of workouts with 5 different teams which was a roller coaster of emotions for the both of us. Noone knew who she was which was part of the issue. Anyway, she landed on a team in a great organization. The team has struggled but it has made her stronger in many ways as a player and a leader.

So I've been reading about the On Deck Tryouts/camps for some time and I thought what the heck, let's do it. Well, the morning of the tryout she had a fever and the chills. She looked and felt horrible. I took her up there with a couple of other girls from our team in the hopes that she could just shake it off or to see if she faking. Ha! Derek said don't worry about it, you can attend another tryout. Oh great, when will that be?

Last month, I saw that the Austin one was on the schedule and I told DD let's do a ROAD TRIP!!! We ended up staying with an old college buddy and his family, which was a great time. So went through the tryout process along with getting her measurements (ODM's) done. By the way, her nickname is White Lightning not because she is fast. She tall and gangly. Her numbers weren't going to look too stellar, but the way she plays the game, the way she communicates on the field, her attitude and her demeanor is like no one else. She really stood out.

The email came that the ODM's were published today, and as anticipated they didn't look good but some did. Looks like we got some work to do. But I knew that going in to this. So, when I saw her name on the list as one of the players to receive an invite I was completely floored! I had to read it twice. I am sure you can imagine my excitement. Man I am so proud of that kid.

There may have been kids there that were stronger and faster (there was a lot of talent!) than my DD, but I think what got her the invite were those attributes that cannot be measured. We had no expectations going into this, other than having a great experience. Can't wait to see what is around the corner for DD. She really earned it.

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for sharing, and congrats to your DD.

I learned something new today about ODM and On Deck Softball. Does anyone have any experience with attending their Jamboree camps and if these showcases and scores make a difference in the college recruiting process? Hard to know which ones are legitimate and which ones are money makers for the companies sponsoring them?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Thanks for sharing, and congrats to your DD.

I learned something new today about ODM and On Deck Softball. Does anyone have any experience with attending their Jamboree camps and if these showcases and scores make a difference in the college recruiting process? Hard to know which ones are legitimate and which ones are money makers for the companies sponsoring them?

They are legit according to several sources. Number 8 of 10 on this list of most influential people in softball.
The 10 most influential people in softball today | ILSOFTBALL.COM

There's another thread on Heybucket if you use the search function. Posters share some of their experiences. I don't want to cross pollinate websites, so you will have to work for it. or PM me and I will send a link.

When they get 100 college coaches attending their Jamborees that tends to get people's attention. I attended two of the Texas tryouts and I saw some really good talent from the area that will move on and be successful. I was also surprised to see some 12U players there too. My DD is a 2019 and all we are doing is trying to get to used to the process and we see this as a long term journey. This is just another tool to use along with camps, exposure tourneys, team communications and other marketing tools. Don't be fooled, you still have to do the work. Your TB coach/director won't do it for you.

I will check in and let everyone know what we experience. Hopefully, others will be able to chime in with their past experiences.

Nov 18, 2013
Congragulations on your invite!

OnDeck is the best IMO. DD attended the Colorado Jamboree in 2013. Her future school watched here there and a few weeks later she verballed. It was a great experience.

Feb 3, 2011
Congratulations to your DD!

It's definitely a business and I used to think it was a scam, but according to all the information I've seen or heard, they're also legit in terms of helping your kids get seen. One of the nuggets I've picked up over the years is a suggestion that a player probably shouldn't attend if she's dinged up or really under the weather. Whereas some of us might say "wow, she's got the flu, but still toughed it out, what a trooper!", if she should happen to underperform that day, the numbers in the database might tell a different story: "she ranked in the bottom 25% of her year group at this evaluation". I think of it like college or graduate entrance exams where you get to decide whether to publish your scores, as some schools only care about your best score, while others will consider all of your scores, some of which may be unfavorable. The flip side is also true, though. A player can potentially have a great day and receive an offer based on her numbers alone.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Congrats! I keep missing the window to sign up...DD always has something lined up, and now that she is wishy washy about playing college ball, I'm just not positive that it's a wise investment of time/money for us. Also, I have heard of phenoms being turned away...no idea why but of course I didn't see their tryout. It was just surprising to hear that they didn't get invited.

Good luck to your DD!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

My DD attended their jamboree in Atlanta in Nov 2013 and CO before the IDT showcase in July 2014. Both were great experiences, but it is much easier for a flame throwing pitcher or a girl who hits bombs in BP to stand out. Position players or contact hitters have to be exceptional to shine. At the Atlanta camp the entire SEC and ACC were represented. It was pretty impressive when they lined up the pitchers and there were @ 45 college coaches front-and-center with clipboards. We also used the trip to CO as an opportunity to pick-up with a team in the IDT showcase, and that was fantastic too.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I've never payed attention to OnDeck because there are so many of these things claiming to improve visibility for a fee, BUT...
My friend who's kid just verballed back East clued me in that OnDeck is the real deal and provides a real advantage getting access to coaches, particularly at certain showcases.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I went to watch one of my players at the on deck clinic at Mt. Sac college last year. I also thought it was a way to generate money for a few people. Judging from all the top college coaches in attendance, I was wrong, this is a great way to get your name out to top colleges. This is a very well run event that defentally has the attention of major college coaches. Good luck to your daughter and congratulations on being selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877