Old vs New

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Just curious as to how some of the newer composites stack up vs some of the older work horses such as the Demarini Phenix or Easton scn4b. I know there are a lot of biased opinions but I am talking about an apples to apples comparison.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I would say as a very simplistic answer here. The bats from many years ago were less impressive out of the wrapper. Took many swings to break in, but kept getting better and better like you would never believe.
The newer bats are way better performing out of the wrapper and will only improve a little with use. They will not get ungodly insane like the older bats would.

Jan 24, 2009
I would say as a very simplistic answer here. The bats from many years ago were less impressive out of the wrapper. Took many swings to break in, but kept getting better and better like you would never believe.
The newer bats are way better performing out of the wrapper and will only improve a little with use. They will not get ungodly insane like the older bats would.

Pretty decent summary there^^.

DD NEVER plays USSSA anymore, so we have a number of the 'ungodly insane' legends (circa 2006) in the arsenal.

Some of the new bats are close in performance, yet more fra-gee-lay than an old 1B/2B/phenix. Within a year the new hot performance of today's models often diminishes. Some think that is by design, for the repeat business ya know? The old bats' performance starts to diminish when (if) they break lol.

Good luck,
VW

Jan 3, 2014

So, since USSSA seems to be the only place with super restrictive bat rules, what old hot bats are on the "ungodly insane" list. Might be fun since we don't play much USSSA anymore.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Laker

Edit - I'm guessing http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NIW-Ea...-Softball-Bat-33-23-ASA-HOT-/261295852055this is one for sale, judging by the price.

A quick google search showed me the way.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
IMHO you have a trade off with bats of performance vs. durability. The higher the performance, the lower the durability. Even the older composites, once they got "hot" their life expectancy dwindled.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So, since USSSA seems to be the only place with super restrictive bat rules, what old hot bats are on the "ungodly insane" list. Might be fun since we don't play much USSSA anymore.

Laker

Edit - I'm guessing http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NIW-Ea...-Softball-Bat-33-23-ASA-HOT-/261295852055this is one for sale, judging by the price.

A quick google search showed me the way.

Have to laugh. Laker hit it dead on. If you want to know what is really good, look for the stuff that organizations or especially governments say you should not have. :)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
IMHO you have a trade off with bats of performance vs. durability. The higher the performance, the lower the durability. Even the older composites, once they got "hot" their life expectancy dwindled.

But they lasted a looooong time while being hot as heck before breaking.

Just not many people want to wait until the bats get hot. Some bats took 1000+ hits. Heck, some of the old SP bats took WELL over that. Not many people had the time to get the hits on a bat that it took.
So now, the bats are pretty darn good asap.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

Laker

Not super restrictive, you just need the new thumbprint.

And ebay sellers tell you nothing for the most part. Just count how many ads say "super hot", "best ever", "ultra like"...yada yada yada. Trying to hook a fish is all.

You can grab any number of older top of the line bats, and without altering, get them hot as fire with work.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DD has a 33/23 Phenix. Its a little heavy for her but I may drag it out in a pool game just to see what she can do with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez