OK Seriously, How Is This Possible?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Because it is completely dishonest to promote yourself as part of one of the premier youth fastpitch organizations in the area and turn around and register as a C team, which is a step above rec league. Either you live up to the name and reputation of the organization or you don't.

Can't argue with that, or with you calling them on it if they're deceitful.

But I'm trying to put myself in your position and decide if I would get worked up over it. Unless the dishonesty made my players leave and play for them, or unless I was getting run-ruled every game, I don't know that I would care. But it's probably one of those things I need to see up close. The C level should be a place where entry-level travel teams can get competitive games. If these teams are interfering with that, that would be a problem. But if they're just the ones winning the tournament by reasonable scores, then maybe not. Guess I've just decided that some teams will be dishonest, some teams will play too love, but that doesn't often affect my team.

Jul 28, 2008
So who says that the team that registered as an 'A' team, really is an 'A' team? Since they have no system in effect to determine in advance which team is what, you set at whatever you want and it's sorts itself out by the end of the year. I find it difficult to believe they would be trophy hunting. Any coach worth their salt would want to play tough competition in order to get better.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
This happens everywhere. In GA some TD's try to regulate and others could care less. All you have to do is play with them each one time to see how it is. Then make your choices with your money by either playing or not. Complaining is not worth it. It is only excuses. However, I have been victim of losses in recruiting to teams who play in C level events or in events less than they claim when advertising for recruits each year. Furthermore, I have had some parents call me after tryouts with questions about our team that were instigated by the A level team coaches as reasons NOT TO PLAY FOR US. That bothers me a bit. Either you are A level or not. Not everyone can be. Not everyone will be. Not Everyone wants to be. Just be who you are and stop claiming something you are not. m2c

Sep 10, 2013
We have played quite a few USSSA tournaments we classified as a C team to start b/c we weren't sure where we would need to play. From what Ive seen most C teams don't have good pitching. We ended up winning 3 tournaments so they made us move up to B which we were planning on doing anyways. But there are quite a few teams that play C that could easily play B, Ive seen a lot of sandbagging in USSSA too. And yes I believe some teams are just looking for trophies. We moved up to 14U and decided to play B to give the girls more challenging play.

Apr 9, 2012
Ive played B and saw teams that were low level C-lots of them. Then I play C and see the same plus a few really good teams and on occassion a ringer pitcher brought in on sunday. In the end I see better comp in the top end of C than B so where should I play.

Point is things are so screwed up I dont know where to play-its a crap shoot either way.

Even at A there are alot of organizations that make the newer teams play A and they get destroyed-is that fair to the new team and to the true A team seeking competition.

I agree with alot on this thread-Im just not sure if this is fixable in its current state. I look at a weekend and see who signs up-knowing the quality of each team since Ive played them I choose where to go based on the better competition meaning it could be C one week and A the next.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Now that you mention it I saw this last year. There were a number of 14u "C" teams from PA that were at some Kittle run New Jersey tournaments that we were playing at and I was like WOW! No way in the world is this a C team. I am not saying that they were true A team but there were some good hitters and some good pitchers. Not what I thought I was going to see when I think of a C team.

A friend of mine coaches and had a 12u team that he regesterd as a C team last year and won a B tournament with a weak field that week. He was informed after that that he would have to move up and they were now a B team like it or not. The same thing goes with other teams that put there macho pride into effect. Some A teams hardly ever win a game, while B teams never loose.

USSSA has a power ranking there, should be a rule that after you hit a ranking above or below a number you move up or down. The goal is to make teams and players better. If you never win a game then it is no fun. If it is no fun why play? If you go around beating up on weaker teams then what do you learn?

Feb 19, 2009
In Eastern PA, there are more teams registered as 14U "C" teams is USSSA than A or B teams combined (only ONE A team). Some of the teams registered for C are from organizations that have been around for years and often brag they are an "A" level TB organization.

What is going on?!:mad:

What's going on is that the teams that register C and brag that they are an A level TB org really aren't and several of the A level teams in eastern PA don't bother to register or play USSSA tourneys (no New Town Rock for instance). Even decent orgs will run into either dry years or transitional years where they don't have the talent in a given age group to register A. If you looked at those C team rosters I doubt you'd find a ton of players who were previously on A teams and decided to join a C team.

Around my neck of the Mid-Atlantic woods I see more of the opposite, teams that should be B or C are registering as A teams because the orgs feel their reputation demands that they register A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole