OK Seriously, How Is This Possible?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
In Eastern PA, there are more teams registered as 14U "C" teams is USSSA than A or B teams combined (only ONE A team). Some of the teams registered for C are from organizations that have been around for years and often brag they are an "A" level TB organization.

What is going on?!:mad:

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I don't normally follow USSSA but a quick peak did show some surprises. The Philadephia Spirit org usually held their own at the PONY tournaments. The Hudec (sp) coached team was pretty good. I don't know the rest of the teams on the list but have heard of a couple. The B listing surprised me too with the Delco Force org and Pennsbury Gems.

I am under the impression a lot of the NJ Pony teams stopped going to Kittle's tournaments with to many complaints. DDs team didn't go to one this year.

Jul 10, 2013
Here is your answer. For ASA the district commissioner is the one that decides who plays at what level. The sad part about this is that is where it ends. You can not go above the district commissioner either.
I looked for a rule in ASA and the only thing I could find was if you won a "A" STATE or Qualifier or National Tournament then you had to play "A"
You are not the first person to question this nor will you be the last. And Coach James is a 100% right, you can't beat the BIG DOGS so drop down and get some TROPHIES

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Here is your answer. For ASA the district commissioner is the one that decides who plays at what level. The sad part about this is that is where it ends. You can not go above the district commissioner either.
I looked for a rule in ASA and the only thing I could find was if you won a "A" STATE or Qualifier or National Tournament then you had to play "A"
You are not the first person to question this nor will you be the last. And Coach James is a 100% right, you can't beat the BIG DOGS so drop down and get some TROPHIES

Actually, ASA Code clearly defines what constitutes an A or B team. A B team is restricted to players from the same team/league/organization. An A team has no geographical or organizational restrictions on the players on that team. So, on paper, the DC should have minimal effect of the teams rating other then verifying the qualifications of the players to be on that team.

However, ASA has been relative liberal in the sense of interfering with local commissioners and the manner in which they run their region. That is how some local associations get away with letting A teams play in the B state tournament or mix age groups.

But even in the SP game, you will often find classification disparities among the sanctioning bodies depending on the priorities of the local commissioner/director/whatever. For registration purposes, it is no big deal. But when the team advances to championship play and obviously much better than the classification in which they are playing, it becomes frustrating for those teams playing in the proper classification.

Jul 26, 2010
What MTR said is correct. Besides that point, ASA classification has nothing to do with USSSA classification. To my knowledge, teams get to pick their own classification in USSSA. Out here in California, there aren't really enough USSSA teams, so even though teams are classed A,B,C, every USSSA tournament is "open" meaning that any class can play. Generally the USSSA tournaments fill the gaps between B ball and A ball, meaning that the better B ball teams (local orgs, rec all stars, ect) play against the bad A teams, with a few trophy hunters thrown in the mix.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
To the best of my knowledge, teams in GA "self rate" themselves for all organizations - ASA, USFA, USSSA, CamSports, NSA, GSA, ect. Good tournament directors will try to prevent "trophy hunters", but it can be tough at the beginning of the season when they have not seen all of the teams play.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In Eastern PA, there are more teams registered as 14U "C" teams is USSSA than A or B teams combined (only ONE A team). Some of the teams registered for C are from organizations that have been around for years and often brag they are an "A" level TB organization.

What is going on?!:mad:

Why is this a problem? Is it leading to mismatches? Are these organizations that brag that they are 'A' level getting players that they would not ordinarily get because of their bragging?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Why is this a problem? Is it leading to mismatches? Are these organizations that brag that they are 'A' level getting players that they would not ordinarily get because of their bragging?

Because it is completely dishonest to promote yourself as part of one of the premier youth fastpitch organizations in the area and turn around and register as a C team, which is a step above rec league. Either you live up to the name and reputation of the organization or you don't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06