Official 2021 High School ball is all Political Thread!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Tryouts the next 3 days and Thursday we will know. My dd wants to be one of those freshman getting a varsity spot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2016
Anybody start their season yet? NJ pushed some fall and winter sports later thus HS SB does not start until 4/1. Will be slightly shorter but go longer than usual into June.

Oct 10, 2018
Southern NY here (Westchester County). The season (including tryouts) starts 4/19, a full month later than last year b/c of Fall 2 and Winter sports running late.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This year in Illinois our season was bumped back a month, so tryouts start April 5th, but we also got contact days, so we've been practicing a couple times a week since early February.

These practices are optional, and I never, ever punish anybody for not coming, but a few girls who have been showing up are earning spots. At least one freshman I had mentally penciled in as a JV player this year is almost certainly going to make varsity, and since she shows up everyday and an incumbent starter at one of her positions doesn't, she's pretty quickly shrinking the gap between them. Some upperclassmen who haven't shown up are being passed up.

The only downside is that because of the number of seniors I had last year and the number of people choosing not to play this year (jobs, Covid concerns, etc.), it doesn't look like I'll have enough for a full JV team, but we do have 9 Freshmen signed up, so we're looking good for the future.

The other downside: Finding opponents is much more difficult this year. I usually have 30 varsity games scheduled this close to tryouts. Right now I have 10 with a bunch of teams telling me they have to wait for various reasons.

May 27, 2013
Our first two games were rained out last week. We play this Tuesday and it is our school’s spring break. We will be missing two starters. Will be an interesting season. We only have 5 travel players.

Feb 17, 2014
In Indiana, practice started 2 weeks ago. Games start tomorrow. Really looking forward to it after losing last year.

Jun 7, 2016
" We only have 5 travel players. "
LOL, 4 more than DD team! Last two yrs, graduation has taken toll on experienced players. Lacrosse has siphoned off most of the athletic girls in our area. Since we are in a low denisity area, most HS are thin on hi quality talent. A good pitcher can really make a diffence playing in conference but when teams travel to play out of the area, pretty rude awakening (for non TB players).

May 27, 2013
" We only have 5 travel players. "
LOL, 4 more than DD team! Last two yrs, graduation has taken toll on experienced players. Lacrosse has siphoned off most of the athletic girls in our area. Since we are in a low denisity area, most HS are thin on hi quality talent. A good pitcher can really make a diffence playing in conference but when teams travel to play out of the area, pretty rude awakening (for non TB players).

Yeah, it’s tough. DD’s first year it was just her and our catcher (who is really an OF) who were our travel kids. Any ball put in play had you holding your breath - but it’s still fun, all the same.

Aug 25, 2019
This year in Illinois our season was bumped back a month, so tryouts start April 5th, but we also got contact days, so we've been practicing a couple times a week since early February.

These practices are optional, and I never, ever punish anybody for not coming, but a few girls who have been showing up are earning spots. At least one freshman I had mentally penciled in as a JV player this year is almost certainly going to make varsity, and since she shows up everyday and an incumbent starter at one of her positions doesn't, she's pretty quickly shrinking the gap between them. Some upperclassmen who haven't shown up are being passed up.

The only downside is that because of the number of seniors I had last year and the number of people choosing not to play this year (jobs, Covid concerns, etc.), it doesn't look like I'll have enough for a full JV team, but we do have 9 Freshmen signed up, so we're looking good for the future.

The other downside: Finding opponents is much more difficult this year. I usually have 30 varsity games scheduled this close to tryouts. Right now I have 10 with a bunch of teams telling me they have to wait for various reasons.
DD had her first optional practice with High School team. She noticed quite a few varsity players from last year (2 years ago I guess) didn't show up, only one did. Nice to hear that you as a coach notices these things, not sure her coach does, or cares.

As for scheduling, she only has 12 games scheduled this season, it's usually 16, I think it's due that they shortened the season a bit. You schedule your own games?....The section that covers high school sports schedules games.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA