Official 2021 High School ball is all Political Thread!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
DD had her first optional practice with High School team. She noticed quite a few varsity players from last year (2 years ago I guess) didn't show up, only one did. Nice to hear that you as a coach notices these things, not sure her coach does, or cares.

I tell everybody this, and I mean it: If the best player on the team doesn't show up to optional stuff, well, she's the best player. She's going to play because I mean it when I say it's optional. But those who show up get better (and, quite frankly, it shows who is more dedicated and who is more likely to get extra attention). So players can and do improve their standing. I have a senior this year who is a borderline starter. She hasn't shown up to anything yet. Some younger girls might have passed her up. We'll see what happens. I haven't decided anything, but some of the young players are really impressive.

As for scheduling, she only has 12 games scheduled this season, it's usually 16, I think it's due that they shortened the season a bit. You schedule your own games?....The section that covers high school sports schedules games.

I've always scheduled our games because in the past; we never had an AD who did their job (I'm the AD now, so that problem doesn't exist anymore). I also liked having the control of setting a schedule that works for our team. We've never been in a conference, so every year I build the schedule from scratch.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
I do understand the best players don't need to show up to optional practices, that they are going to play anyway. One thing I don't like about special treatment for the best players happened a few years ago on DD's field hockey team. The coach gave a big speech about everyone needs to be at every school practice, even during spring break, or it's gonna effect game time. Sure enough, three of the top players skipped the whole week and went on vacation, and they were in the starting lineup the next game, while my DD begged us not to go on vacation since she didn't want to miss any playing time.

May 6, 2015
I do understand the best players don't need to show up to optional practices, that they are going to play anyway. One thing I don't like about special treatment for the best players happened a few years ago on DD's field hockey team. The coach gave a big speech about everyone needs to be at every school practice, even during spring break, or it's gonna effect game time. Sure enough, three of the top players skipped the whole week and went on vacation, and they were in the starting lineup the next game, while my DD begged us not to go on vacation since she didn't want to miss any playing time.

I always hate when coaches punish players for things outside the players control. if the family decides to schedule a family vacation, this should not be counted against the player, provided they are upfront with the coach about it (ie inform them as soon as possible, dont just not show up).

Jun 20, 2015
witnessed it all 4 years my DD was in high school. There would be big announcment about don't miss for spring break. Certain players miss and would sit, other would miss and not sit.

Or the annoucement / rule requiring black spikes, except a select few were allowed to wear white ones.

happens all over.

May 20, 2015
well, both DD's are now in high school......day one last night, they only have 15 girls at this point......front 9, pitching will be good....depth not so much.......they will have 6 of the front 9 currently playing travel, with 2 of the other 3 having played travel up to/through 14u.......so they will be deeper than most teams we play.....

DD #1 is a junior captain.....was all conference as a frosh

DD#2 is a frosh......we expected her to be a starting OF, back up C.........now, with an all conference C not returning, she will be thrust into the starting C role

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

My team rules are written to give me some leeway in certain situations. Some rules are written with specific punishments because, if violated, I'm fine with enforcing them no matter who the culprit is. Others I think should be on a case-by-case basis, and they're written that way. I'm always thinking about how the rest of the team will think (and, because they're teenagers, talk) about certain decisions.

I always hate when coaches punish players for things outside the players control. if the family decides to schedule a family vacation, this should not be counted against the player, provided they are upfront with the coach about it (ie inform them as soon as possible, dont just not show up).

I disagree with this, but I also think the coach needs to address this sort of thing during a preseason meeting. It's in our team rules that a trip like that is not an excused absence. My rule is if you have an unexcused absence from a game, you sit the next game. I would probably consider spring break as a single unexcused absence even if we had more than one game. I'd sit the player for the first game after spring break, and then it's over. She's back in after that. Did she have control over the trip? Maybe not. But she and her parents also knew what the penalty would be before the season even started.

May 6, 2015
in our area do not think there are games scheduled during breaks, ,only practices. basically, if you do not have school that day, you cannot have play or practice, and I think Sat games require Friday school to have occurred.

if games scheduled, different matter, but still, 14 cannot tell mom and dad no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild