Official 2021 High School ball is all Political Thread!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Student got an email stating high school tryouts start this week. 8 hours later another email tryouts have been postponed til next week.

Neato

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just starting to hear some HS coaches in So Cal demanding players leave their TB team immediately. Others coaches set a date like march 15th and yet others said do whatever you want. Lot of confusion in California. Thank you CIF for all your great decision making. High Schools don't even know if they are going to have a season. And if they do, how long and how many games. Everything up in the air. TB coaches are pulling their hair out. Some smart coaches are already planning joining teams together so the players that either opt out of HS ball or are not yet HS age will continue to play TB. What a mess.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Just starting to hear some HS coaches in So Cal demanding players leave their TB team immediately. Others coaches set a date like march 15th and yet others said do whatever you want. Lot of confusion in California. Thank you CIF for all your great decision making. High Schools don't even know if they are going to have a season. And if they do, how long and how many games. Everything up in the air. TB coaches are pulling their hair out. Some smart coaches are already planning joining teams together so the players that either opt out of HS ball or are not yet HS age will continue to play TB. What a mess.
Well it's an interesting choice for sure. Can choose to do high school ball which comes with a baskets of question marks.
Or do travel ball where at least the coach could plan a schedule and you know you can play.
* BUT tb coaches cant make a schedule without a team....
so I am finding also that travel ball coaches are saying here's our bottom line you play for us or do high school and enjoy that but we will fill the spot for people who want to play travel ball.
....and then parents coming back with " what if high school doesn't "... blah blah blah.
This is it~
going to have to make your decision befor High School /cif figures it out.

The choice is up to the players who they want to play for and that reason will be the priority maker.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018
great thread, DD is a freshman and is very excited about high school ball. she will probably be one of the best players on the field (not bragging she just has the most travel ball experience) and has been playing 18u tourneys and showcases last year already. so far our state is just filled with rumors but softball is going to happen. talk is it might run into july and it will not be a real season with championship games or play offs. DD is going to the sparkler, already paid and bought tickets. it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
We're in a weird dilemma - middle school tryouts.

DD is 7th grader. Rumor has it that if you don't try out as a 7th grader the coach has a long memory and will use it against you as an 8th grader (don't ask me why, sounds dumb). But 7th graders making the team is rare (like one or two a year). And that they sit, no matter how good.

So, dilemma is...try out, and risk making it (and there's a maybe 30/70 make it / not make it chance in my estimate). Or not try out, and risk the "punishment" next year. (If she did make it this year, it would break her softball wise - no way could handle TB and school ball schedules). Whereas next year, she'd be fine as most of her TB team will be in HS and they won't start up until after school ball is over.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

DD is 7th grader. Rumor has it that if you don't try out as a 7th grader the coach has a long memory and will use it against you as an 8th grader (don't ask me why, sounds dumb). But 7th graders making the team is rare (like one or two a year). And that they sit, no matter how good.

So, dilemma is...try out, and risk making it (and there's a maybe 30/70 make it / not make it chance in my estimate). Or not try out, and risk the "punishment" next year. (If she did make it this year, it would break her softball wise - no way could handle TB and school ball schedules). Whereas next year, she'd be fine as most of her TB team will be in HS and they won't start up until after school ball is over.
If that is already in your brain... a cause for future favoritism and/or being outcasted...there are/will be other issues later to frustrate you....that will have nothing to do with that!

In other words....later that decision will mean nothing because that coach is a
'do it there way or nothing' kinda person.
There Is bound to be other conflicts!

Jul 31, 2015

Perfect scenario for your DD then: try out this year, don't make the team*, and set herself up for 8th grade ball when she's more free to play.

*I'm not saying don't try her best at tryouts, I'm just saying the coach may not be impressed with what he sees from her that day ;)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Some coaches knowing they are going to lose half their team are getting together with other coaches to form one team JUST until HS ball is over. Nobody even know if HS ball is going to happen and if so, how long? Let's say player leaves TB to play HS now. The HS post a schedule in mid March and it runs thru all of June or even into July. Now what? Another decision has to be made? I am afraid this story is going to have a sad ending.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

@Rolling Hard what HS is your DD playing for? In regular years, no travel/HS overlap, then CIF exempted that rule, then they reinstated it, and followed that up with exempting it again a couple weeks ago. ITS CRAZY.. TB coaches are saying, you better play with me, HS don't have the same pull but are saying the same thing, so I can see that there is going to be some people stuck in the middle.

DD plays for JSerra, we just got our schedule. CIF probably won't happen, league play probably will. What a mess CA is

May 20, 2015
we don't have official word yet......sounds like we'll start two weeks late, looks like 1st or 2nd week of april......not sure how much this will extend the season and effect TB yet

we tend to be drama free.....we'll have 7-8 girls that play travel ball, there's a couple starting jobs up for grabs for sure.....but DD started as a frosh, put up better numbers than the conference player of the year, made 2nd team because she was only a frosh......her numbers blew away the 1st team 2B across the board - she hit .515, 1st team hit low .300's.....28rbi/32 runs, .656OBP......1 error in 64 chances.....our coach fought hard, but they all make backroom deals to get their girls in, and the bias towards older girls is blatant and open.....that's about the only politics we saw......our HC had no problem starting freshman over seniors....DD should be a captain this year as a JR.....

new TB team for us this year, but all seems to be going well there so far as well.....

guess that's the nice part about being a minor league softball state ;)