Offensive timeouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 13, 2017
Was at a tournament this weekend and the opposing team's coach was trying to burn the clock.
He called an offensive timeout to talk to his batter. Next batter he called another timeout to talk to his batter.
I know that your only allowed one offensive timeout per half inning and its the umpire who allowed it that was in the wrong.

My question is, what is the penalty for that?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
2018 USA softball rules, Rule 5, Section 7
'EFFECT: Ejection of the manager or team representative who insists on another charged conference'

I don't know the rules for other sanctions.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Was at a tournament this weekend and the opposing team's coach was trying to burn the clock.
He called an offensive timeout to talk to his batter. Next batter he called another timeout to talk to his batter.
I know that yhour only allowed one offensive timeout per half inning and its the umpire who allowed it that was in the wrong.

My question is, what is the penalty for that?

There really is no penalty unless the coach continues to insist on the conference. If the umpire allowed the conference that is their error, not the coaches.

Proper procedure; The umpire verbally denies the conference ("You have had your conference for this inning" and has the batter step into the box as required "Batter, please get ready". If they need to call a strike because the batter isn't ready then they should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying