Off Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Almost all pitches can be thrown with a variety of speeds. It takes some trial and error but a basic rule of thumb is, the more "skin" on the ball will slow it down. The simple way is more fingers or finger parts on the ball, or placing the ball deeper into the palm of the hand.

Remember the off-speed is not a change up. Off-speeds should be basically -1 to -10 mph from your fastest pitch.

I think another way is to exaggerate spin. For example, with a palm up curve, instead of pulling with just the middle finger on the seam, add the ring or index fingers along side to pull around. I think it tends to E/R the hand a bit more going into release which I think slows the ball down.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The best way to change speeds is to modify the grip and/or release of the ball. You want to guard against your DD slowing down her arm or changing her pitching motion to throw off speed. There are a lot of free videos on Youtube and some threads on DFP that show some of the options.

Jul 26, 2010
Reduce the whip and you reduce exit speed. Grip is one way to do this, by holding the ball deeper in the hand or putting an extra finger on the ball. I pitch with two fingers and a thumb for most grips, but can pitch with 3 or 4 fingers to vary speed.

Another good way to reduce speed is to simply increase tension in the forearm. More tension equals reduced whip. The easy way to do this is simply grip the ball HARDER. While I'm sure the Mike White's of the world are able to spot bulging veins and flexed muscles and scream out "offspeed" from third base, for most pitchers learning this is an easy exercise. Everything about the pitch is the same: Leg drive, effort, arm speed, the only thing that changes is the efficiency of the arm whip.

-W

Sep 11, 2009
I learned this from Doug Gillis. Hold the ball deeper in your palm and move your thumb closer to your index finger. Everything else in the mechanics stays the same.

I am assuming CoachKirk was talking about an offspeed curve......so to add to his post try this: Place the ball deeper in the hand, move the thumb closer to the index finger like he states......(added part) instead of thumb grip pressure near the end of the thumb...apply the grip pressure with the very lower part of the thumb down below the lower joint where the thumb base gets fat. I call this "throwing with the fatty". You should have a feeling of the "fatty" pushing the release around the corner.
One commonality on most decent offspeed curve and offspeed rises is that the thumb tip releases off the ball long before the hand enters the release zone.

I learned this from Doug Gillis. Hold the ball deeper in your palm and move your thumb closer to your index finger. Everything else in the mechanics stays the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom