OBSTRUCTION since someone was too lazy to start a new thread :)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
/thread hijack

Scenario: 14U. ASA. B1/R1 line drive to RF, rounds 1B, F4 collides with R1 in the baseline, R1 crawls back to 1B, PU (single umpire, no BU) holds out left arm, simultaneously RF fields ball and throws to P in circle, R1 stands and trots to 2B. P makes no attempt to 2B.

What's the call? (I will reveal actual result).

No replies. And I'm headed home in a few. So I'll share: Called out for taking a base with ball in circle. PU's arm never came down. PU stated R1 should have waited for him to call time. Then he would award 2B. Argh. I believe he made the correct call per the rules, given his reasoning, from his POV. Teachable moment. Didn't make me or R1 feel any better at the time. Monster hit. Collision. Out.

Yes, there is an LBR violation, but once that runner is ruled out, the ball becomes dead and the OBS ruling is applied which would either place the obstructed runner at 1st or 2nd base depending upon what base the umpire judged the runner would have reached safely had that obstruction not occurred. An LBR violation is not one of the exceptions to the OBS rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00