Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
sure, but that doesn’t help the calculation of what actually happens in the moment. of course your runner should be looking at the coach.

what i'm saying is, many of these calculations are/should be done pre-pitch......in this situation, i have a pretty good idea what i am going to do based on the situation......still could eff up in the heat of the moment, but.....

May 20, 2015
Or the next batter does nothing except get out. 🤷‍♀️

yup, and that chance at making it a 3-2 loss instead of a 3-1 loss was still a poor risk

regardless of what that lead runner does, you're going to need that backside runner to score.....3-1 or 3-2, you are going to need another hit to tie it......the lead runner drawing a throw and getting the batter runner to 2nd is a good play......to be honest, there's a good chance in this situation i am telling my fielders to focus on keeping the batter at 1st and ignoring the runner that is attempting to score (sounds like this team had been shutting them down, holding them to 1 run through 6 2/3......assuming the NEXT batter isn't 2-3 already, i'm more concerned with getting one out before 2 runs vs cutting down the 2nd run

May 20, 2015
i think we already established that this coach won state last year and is in the semifinals this year. maybe the coach is competent.

no doubt, but it is november......first winter practice starts sunday, i won't be in a deer stand today until 330 (and i'll be in a shooting shack with my 8 year old today, so......), so what else is there to do but chew the fat and second guess some dude we'll never meet?

Oct 14, 2019
no doubt, but it is november......first winter practice starts sunday, i won't be in a deer stand today until 330 (and i'll be in a shooting shack with my 8 year old today, so......), so what else is there to do but chew the fat and second guess some dude we'll never meet?
agreed. it’s fun to debate it.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Woman head coach ;) And over 100 wins in her 4 years coaching them. This has never been a team we like facing.
We held them to 3 runs in Super Regionals which was a huge "win" for us. This was the first year they weren't in our region but in the past they normally run rule us.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
yup, and that chance at making it a 3-2 loss instead of a 3-1 loss was still a poor risk
Was it obstruction? Maybe...but, why put yourself into that position? It was going to be a close play one way or the other, and if you're down by 2, why risk it?

The CF is in CF for a reason. She's there because she is a great OF. The odds of her making an exceptional play are higher than for the other fielders.

If the 3B coach sent her, the 3B coach blew it. Of course, he may not have...I've had my share of runners run through a stop sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802