obsessed with softball?.......not me LOL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
The true test of our decision making as parents will be when our kids have their own children. If they shy away from getting their kids involved in organized sports, it's probably because their own experiences made them develop a distaste from it. If our kids go on to involve and support their kids crazy sports schedules, it's likely because their experience was positive.

As coach JV mentioned, each kid is different, some will like sports, others may loathe them but feel pressured because a big brother or sister does them and their parents go gaga over their successes. It's important that we, as parents, recognize our children for the individuals that they are and support them, while still pushing their boundaries and helping them to explore all of the various options out there.

A good test to see if you are over-obsessed with softball, or sports, is to think back to opportunities outside of sports that you have presented to your children. Did you ever give them the chance to learn to play an instrument? To paint? To dance? Ever take them to the library or museums to see what piqued their interest? If the answer is yes, but they'd rather play softball, then you're doing the right thing. If not. . .it's not too late.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
I'm not a softball guy, but my daughter is a softball girl, so that makes us a softball family. :) I've recently joined our local rec league board, because I have specific ideas on how we can improve the program from the ground up and I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and do the work.

My daughter's 8 and is about to start her 5th spring season (6th overall including fall), so the game is indeed a significant part of her life. Having only one child makes it easier for us to achieve balance, but as best I can tell, she enjoys doing things like practicing her pitching when other kids are playing video games or watching TV. And I absolutely love it when she asks me to come throw with her. She's young, but softball has given us a relationship I wouldn't trade for anything.

Sep 3, 2009
My inlaws were not sports people, and were a bit concerned about all the time. That was in the beginning, now if they are not attending games, our phone is ringing the minute we get home with them wanting the play by play, how things went. This sport does take a fair amount of commitment, with lessons, practices, games, travel, money, etc. What would you rather your daughter be doing; sitting on the couch surfing youtube videos and eating little debbie snack cakes all day? To me the worst part of softball is the winter, when my daughter whines constantly about when practices will start, whens the first tournament, etc. Keep them busy, and keep them healthy, and hopefully they'll stay out of trouble. I don't miss anything, I'm spending an incredibly amount of time with my dd because of softball, and I wouldn't trade one second of it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It depends on who is getting married, whether I would miss a tournament for a wedding. It would have to be immediate family and then, my DD wouldn't have been required to attend.

I can still list the activities that I missed for games - my HS had a ceremony the night before graduation. I forget what it was called. I told the principal that I wouldn't be there, he said that he could hold my diploma. But, he didn't.

Also, I played softball a few hours after my father's funeral. My much older sisters didn't understand that, but my mother didn't care. I was 16.

I did miss the IL. state tournament (which we won) in 1979 or so, while my step father had cancer surgery.

Jul 9, 2010
I get hurt occasionally (okay, all the time... I'm a freaking ball magnet)

I blew my coffee on my keyboard when I read that. My middle DD is a ball magnet - She gets hit almost every game.

I don't know anyone else like her. It was like she was talking to me from the computer, which is why it made me laugh.

Jul 9, 2010
I've recently joined our local rec league board, because I have specific ideas on how we can improve the program from the ground up and I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and do the work.

Be afraid, be very, very, afraid. You just signed up for one of the most thankless, challenging jobs ever. Never mind that you might touch a lot of young lives, and leave them better for it.

It takes a very special person to be a rec league board member.

Feb 3, 2011
Be afraid, be very, very, afraid. You just signed up for one of the most thankless, challenging jobs ever. Never mind that you might touch a lot of young lives, and leave them better for it.

It takes a very special person to be a rec league board member.
Looking for the RUN button as we speak! :) Thanks, though, because I'm hoping we will be given enough latitude to help the league to evolve to that next level.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
When my DD first started in Softball I didn't like the way the Little League team was coached so I signed up and was assistant coach the next year. I continued as Assistant Coach and Head Coach until after first year 14U. Those years were in fact the most thankless and challenging years in my life, I wouldn't change them for anything. I got a lot of good information from these boards, from ACE and from coaches in the older age groups. As a matter of fact, I plan to return there once my DD goes off to college in a few years and continue my work there.

There is no substitute for someone who cares enough to get help and apply what is learned to coaching the young kids.

Oh, am I obsessed with softball? You bet!!!

Jul 9, 2010
When my DD first started in Softball I didn't like the way the Little League team was coached so I signed up and was assistant coach the next year. I continued as Assistant Coach and Head Coach until after first year 14U. Those years were in fact the most thankless and challenging years in my life, I wouldn't change them for anything. I got a lot of good information from these boards, from ACE and from coaches in the older age groups. As a matter of fact, I plan to return there once my DD goes off to college in a few years and continue my work there.

There is no substitute for someone who cares enough to get help and apply what is learned to coaching the young kids.

Oh, am I obsessed with softball? You bet!!!

Sounds like my story, except that when I mentioned to my wife I might stay with coaching after the DD's all leave, she said maybe my next wife would be more tolerant of it. After 15 years, though, it's hard to blame her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30