NSA rule on hit by pitch on the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
Yup. If hit while swinging at the pitch, you just have a dead ball strike. And if strike 3, you're out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Is this rule consistent across all orgs? ASA, USSSA, etc
Yes. However, there are some differences with respect to the attempt to avoid getting hit. I believe in NCAA/NJCAA if the entire ball is in the batters box the hitter can stand and take the plunk with no attempt to get out of the way.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes. However, there are some differences with respect to the attempt to avoid getting hit. I believe in NCAA/NJCAA if the entire ball is in the batters box the hitter can stand and take the plunk with no attempt to get out of the way.

And NFHS and I think USSSA also went to the same rule.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Not trying to hijack the thread but, is the ruling the same for a batter who squares to bunt but doesn't make an attempt to pull back?

Jun 22, 2008
Not trying to hijack the thread but, is the ruling the same for a batter who squares to bunt but doesn't make an attempt to pull back?

Depends on the rule set, some rules require the bat to be withdrawn or it is a strike. In those rule sets if the batter does not withdraw the bat it would be a dead ball strike.

Mar 2, 2013
Yup. If hit while swinging at the pitch, you just have a dead ball strike. And if strike 3, you're out.

Almost. It isn't "while swinging" it is "has swung or offered" at the pitch. I say this not has a grammar expert, but as someone who has explained to more than one coach that what happens after the ball contacts the batter is 100% irrelevant.

Mar 15, 2014
Whenever a batter is hit by a pitch the ball is dead.
(This itself will clear up much confusion--I once had to nullify an inside the park "grand slam" because it began with the batter being hit in the helmet by a pitch.)
Now the umpire has to decide the outcome.
Was the body part that was hit within the strike zone??
If so then it is a strike.
If it is strike 3 then the batter is out--and no, the uncaught 3rd strike rule does not apply.
( I have seen coaches and even some experienced umpires claim that it does.)
Even if no part of the batter was within the strike zone it is still a strike if the batter swung or was deemed to have struck--or attempted to have struck-- at the ball.
And it is not always the hands that are struck--I have seen batters swing at a bad pitch and get struck in the knee.
As Umpire has already stated sometimes this can be a tough call, since a batter who is trying to avoid being hit may appear to have swung the bat but did not actually offer at the pitch.
If none of these apply the batter will be awarded first base and all forced runners will likewise advance unless:
If the rule book states that the batter must attempt to avoid the pitch the umpire must decide if this was done.
Since we are not mind readers I will always give the batter the benefit of the doubt--unless I see her lean into the pitch or allow an easily avoidable pitch to hit her I will send her to first base.
Hope this helps and was not overly redundant.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877