NSA "A" World Series vs ASA or PGF regional for 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2010
Looking for everyones thoughts on the better tournament to participate in. We are a 2nd year 14U team that initially planned on doing ASA/USA Nationals, but we are out of OH and with it being in San Diego this year are looking into other options.

My daughter played NSA WS at 10U, but we have not been there since. ASA Easterns are in CT this year and I am assuming PGF regional will be in Chicago again.

Do any college's attend the end of the year regional championships for ASA or PGF at 14U? How about NSA?

We are looking to play in the best tournament we can as well start getting them involved with any college exposure we can.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Jul 2, 2013
You simply have to analyze where your DD has the best opportunity.

80% of the time it is more local. Keep them close to home. Play close to home.

20% of the time, you have a great prospect. Shop her National.

I get a kick out of BIG org's who insist on going NATIONAL. When all it benefits is a few players. Most likely playing in a National Tourney, NSA, or whatever CLOSE TO HOME will benefit the majority of the players on your team the most.

At 16U, scouts are everywhere. More at the BIG ASA of PGF tourney's. But plenty at the local NSA, WFC, or whatever too. It is where the players fit that matters. Only you can decide. Local WORKS, just remember.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you are looking for college coaches who attend a 14U World Series, you need to be at ASA Nationals or PGF. At 14U I would not let recruiting weigh into your decisions - go have fun and worry about recruiting at 16U. My DD went to the USFA World Series in Panama City, FL when she was a first year 14U team, and we had a blast. Great combination of softball and recreational activities. We stayed on the beach and turned it into a nice family vacation with extended family joining us. Second year 14U we went to ASA Nationals in Normal, IL. We played softball, watched softball, or stayed a the hotel. Not a lot of recreational activities, and when we were playing pool games and early bracket games, we played ONE game per day......that is a lot of sitting around doing nothing, while spending $140/night for a hotel room in East Bumble $#%$!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I get a kick out of BIG org's who insist on going NATIONAL. When all it benefits is a few players.

The benefit of going to 14U ASA Nationals, is not to get a couple of players seen by college coaches, it is in recruiting new players the following season. When you earn a berth to ASA Nationals it elevates others perception of your team and organization, and more players will show up at your tryouts......

Jan 7, 2013
The benefit of going to 14U ASA Nationals, is not to get a couple of players seen by college coaches, it is in recruiting new players the following season. When you earn a berth to ASA Nationals it elevates others perception of your team and organization, and more players will show up at your tryouts......

True story.

Dec 7, 2011
Local WORKS, just remember.

Ya, when your "local" is in a big SB state!!

Try living in a state where "local" means nothing more than a rec-ball game with friends and the "interested viewers" are just family members.....

Here in WI if you rely on "local" it might get ya a mass-mailing from a D3 school.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I was at the PGF 14U and was very surprised at how many big time college coaches were there not only assistants but head coaches as well. I would not have believed it if someone had told me college coaches are after 8th and 9th graders but I guess it is true.

Dec 4, 2010
You simply have to analyze where your DD has the best opportunity.

80% of the time it is more local. Keep them close to home. Play close to home.

20% of the time, you have a great prospect. Shop her National.

I get a kick out of BIG org's who insist on going NATIONAL. When all it benefits is a few players. Most likely playing in a National Tourney, NSA, or whatever CLOSE TO HOME will benefit the majority of the players on your team the most.

At 16U, scouts are everywhere. More at the BIG ASA of PGF tourney's. But plenty at the local NSA, WFC, or whatever too. It is where the players fit that matters. Only you can decide. Local WORKS, just remember.

Great comments...I agree and we do stay local to OH and the few states around us as we have some great tournaments close by. We have played in the Midwest World Series in Columbus, OH the last 2 years for our end of season tournament. It is a great setup...32 fields at one complex all going at the same time and draws great teams from all over the midwest/northeast. This year just looking to change it up for the existing girls/parents and we also have picked up some key strong players to fill a couple holes we needed filled, so we want to play some of the best out there and see how we stack up.

Dec 4, 2010
I was at the PGF 14U and was very surprised at how many big time college coaches were there not only assistants but head coaches as well. I would not have believed it if someone had told me college coaches are after 8th and 9th graders but I guess it is true.

Yes I heard the same thing for a couple other coaches....we understand that most exposure happens at 16U, but just trying to get our girls and organization on the radar so that when we are 16U next year we'll get some second looks.

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks for all the reply's. Basically we are trying to get the best bang for our buck...best competition, maybe some colleges watching, well ran tournament, and a decent destination. NSA's are down in SC, PGF regional is in Chicago, and ASA Easterns in CT. I pretty much know what to expect from NSA WS and ASA regional, but wasn't sure about the PGF regional. PGF tournaments are new to most of us here in OH and while I hear that all the big schools were are PGF nationals wasn't sure if the regional 14U would draw many of the midwest schools that don't make the trip to the west coast.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06