Note to College Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
There are a few down south she would like to attend, I will have to plan and schedule a few in the fall now knowing what I know. I am still learning about the entire process and I am learning something new everyday.

We have no large schools here on or close to Long Island. I would like her to attend at least one or two clinics at a large conference school.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wanted her to attend for the experience to be honest, she is a 1999 Freshman who isn't sure what she wants to do with her life, but I felt it was important for her to experience a few camps & clinics this winter in preparation for next year.

You may wish to refer to her as a 2018 (grad year) as most coaches will wonder why someone who graduated in 1999 would be attending a clinic. :) You had a good idea but to your point you would have been better served by staying close to home which apparently is not really possible. Just guessing but I imagine that a 90 minute clinic was a fundraiser and beyond that a vehicle for the coaches to meet with previously identified potential recruits. By opening it to all and going through the motions of providing instruction it keeps it within the context of the NCAA recruiting rules. If your DD was one of the previously identified recruits the time spent would be irrelevant so long as there was some face time. But as this was her first camp I am sure you were disappointed with the value given the time you invested.

Feb 12, 2014
Point taken ;) on calling her freshman.

So far I have take her two two clinics, both of which were 3hrs but the next batch I am looking at are 1.5hrs. I think I will have her just skip these upcoming ones until she is more decisive.

The experience of the two clinics she attended were very informative for her and I think she definitely benefited, one clinic had an open Q & A with the coach and the other with players.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of camps are money makers.

Every college camp I know of is a money maker, with the possible exception of the scenario Riseball pointed out where a college coach wants to see a particular player or players and has to open up registration to stay within NCAA guidelines. When Kelly Barnhill was being recruited the facility she practiced out of would announce that "Coach XXXXX of (Big D1 school) is hosting a pitching clinic on this day and time". They would sign up @ 20 pitchers all there with hopes and dreams of catching the eye of the college coach. When they got there they quickly realized that the head coach was over watching Kelly pitch, while two of the assistant coaches were essentially giving a group lesson to the other 19 pitchers in attendance.

The D1 coach got to watch Kelly pitch, the practice facility got free publicity and 19 potential new candidates for pitching lessons, and the entire trip was funded by the registration fees.

Be weary if an unannounced camp pops up and is not well publicized or if it is at an odd time of year or short duration (2 hours or less). If in doubt, have you TB coach call to see if they can get more information on the camp.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
We have no large schools here on or close to Long Island. I would like her to attend at least one or two clinics at a large conference school.

You could try the one at Tufts - it is during the first week of August and I've heard good things. I believe it is over three days. Not a "big conference", but considering they've won the D3 National championship two years in a row I'd say they're not bad! Many of the college coaches in the area attend/help out. DH's family is from the NY/NJ area (including Long Island) - I understand your pain with the traffic issue!

Just thinking off the cuff - maybe UConn, or Fairfield? (not big conference, but they are D1). UConn is holding a winter clinic this Saturday from 10-5:30.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Took our dd to a camp this winter at UT-Martin. She said it was best camp she's been to. $100 and it was 2 days for 9 hours of instruction. Mostly for high school girls as it was an exposure camp but it was open to the younger ages(ours is an 02).
My biggest complaint against camps is that they all tell you that they'll place girls according to their grade and or ability, yet they never do. Our dd does not like camps because she always gets put in a group with less developed players. Her birthday is in October so she is one of the older kids in her grade. Plus she has played travel and all the subsequent lessons for 5 years yet gets grouped in with kids barely above rec. I know your prolly thinking that she must not be good enough to move up but that's not the case(or at least this dad thinks so;-) So she gets bored watching girls instruct on how to throw a fastball.
On the bright side, at UT-Martin camp coach singled her out and had her demonstrate how to throw a screwball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Took our dd to a camp this winter at UT-Martin. She said it was best camp she's been to. $100 and it was 2 days for 9 hours of instruction. Mostly for high school girls as it was an exposure camp but it was open to the younger ages(ours is an 02).
My biggest complaint against camps is that they all tell you that they'll place girls according to their grade and or ability, yet they never do. Our dd does not like camps because she always gets put in a group with less developed players. Her birthday is in October so she is one of the older kids in her grade. Plus she has played travel and all the subsequent lessons for 5 years yet gets grouped in with kids barely above rec. I know your prolly thinking that she must not be good enough to move up but that's not the case(or at least this dad thinks so;-) So she gets bored watching girls instruct on how to throw a fastball.
On the bright side, at UT-Martin camp coach singled her out and had her demonstrate how to throw a screwball.

Used to have the same problem. Not like they will check a birth certificate so I would pad my DD's age by a year or two.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying