Not having Pitchers is no Fun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2012
Are they trying to throw the ball with a Windmill delivery?

In Rec league I have on more than one occassion pulled the plug on that and had the girl go to a simple underhand delivery. This year - because I knew the score on this - I had anyone who wanted to pitch working on a Non-Windmill delivery along with the Windmill from the middle of March.

Almost any athlete will be able to throw strikes that way - the girls with the best arms - pitcher, catcher, first baseman or shortstop will at least be able to get it over. After a little bit of practice they will be able to get it over pretty flat.

At least this stops the Bugs-Bunny Cha-Cha line.

Its just too much of a lose-lose situation for the team, the parents and the pitcher to have so many walks. One of the girls said to me the other night "but I LIKE to throw Windmill!" I said "We like to watch you throw strikes."

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The biggest thing you really need to work on is hitting and fielding. Not throwing the ball around and getting all the outs you are supposed to and making solid contact at the plate can overcome a lot.

DD stats from yesterday.

2IP, 7Ks, 2BB, 0HBP. 1ER, 11 Unearned. We have a 6 run per inning limit. 2 balls reached the outfield in the 2 innings, 1 was a really solid hit the other was dropped by the RF.

Team is just broke.

End Rant. :(

Trust me I feel you pain, looking at all those unearned runs, but the answer is fielding practice until the girls just can't take it any more. I sometimes spent a third of my practice with girls that usually play the outfield running the bases while I hit infield practice, then rotating some of the runners in when the girls got tired of running and trying out a few outfielders at infield positions. With that many ground balls you would hope you would get some come backs to the pitcher or hits to the first baseman or easy plays to the closest base with the bases loaded. All I can say is keep trying, I love those 4K and 5K innings from dropped third strikes that is also something you have to practice the catcher making throws to first. To your original point of the post you are right it is no fun.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
DD stats from yesterday.

2IP, 7Ks, 2BB, 0HBP. 1ER, 11 Unearned. We have a 6 run per inning limit. 2 balls reached the outfield in the 2 innings, 1 was a really solid hit the other was dropped by the RF.

Team is just broke.

End Rant. :(

Gotta love those those 5, 6, and 7 out innings in rec ball. Of the 7 Ks how many reached on dropped 3rd?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez