Not Finishing Swings in Game Situations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
For years, on multiple travel teams, I'm seeing girls develop beautiful swings through practice drills and batting practice. But, when game time comes, those swings fall apart... mainly that they don't get all the way to "follow-through" and their front legs collapse so they can start running to first base. Does anyone know of any drills or techniques that can simulate those game situations and get them to take full cuts?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I recently saw a College player hit a homerun without following thru- but that's another story!
I'm also seeing swings in college that don't look so hot after contact (back whackers)

I am currently trying the "Happy Gilmore" Drill to address this as well as weight transfer and driving thru the ball.

Mar 25, 2011
Are they more concerned with getting on base and afraid of just striking out. The main reason for 'ratcheting' in a swing would be to try and increase contact percentage. Of course, those nice slow grounders are just fun and easy for the shortstops. --- but at least they didn't strike out! ---

I know with both of my children, that will be a big thing this year. I want you to go out with full swings. If you strike out, it's ok, the world will go on, and your teammate will have a chance to pick you up. Unless coach calls for a specific swing, you go out there with the intention of hitting a line drive back up the middle every swing. No more of these soft contact dribblers just so you don't feel bad about striking out.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My daughter and I do reverse hand swings to help feel extension.
Back hand reverse on the bat and it is a lead arm swing. I used to have video of it.

Some times the end result is what started in the beginning. I do slow back hard through when I practice with the different girls.

Straightleg

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I had a good coach in HS baseball. He could also pitch BP well. Sometimes he would do a shortened batting practice where you would get say, 5 swings. That was it. And he would throw decent speed and mix in curve balls too. If you swung at a bad pitch, too bad. If you took a strike it counted against you.

Don't know if this would help, but let me tell you it really focused you as a batter. You craved your BP, but you couldn't just relax and hit a bunch. You focused more like it was a game, WAY more, yet at the same time you were focused on driving the ball as you want to get your fix but outs obviously mean nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck