Not Allowed to Video my Team???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
The dad is not an official scorer. So, this dad post his opinions about plays, earned runs, etc. and they are not accurate. Now players and parents are upset that Sue has done better with the dad's accounts of things instead of the official book. I absolutely understand why the coach had concerns and I'm not insecure. It is just one more problem that didn't have to be. Just yesterday, I went to a former player and talked about why I am still coaching. It isn't worth it to me anymore to put up with all of the s....

High School coaches care if parents and players are upset about their unofficial stats? Not in my world where the "official" book is often kept by a sitting player, with marginal knowledge of the rules. It would be no different than someone keeping a book and sharing his information post game, I am sure that went on before electronic scoring. Or sending a text telling a dad not at the game "Suzie had a line drive double to left". If coaches are worried about hits vs. errors they probably don't have their priorities too straight.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Do I care? Hell no. However, I have to argue with them, get called into an AD meeting with them, and eventually have to decide if it is worth it to keep their kid. I do care about the kid although the kid is probable also in on this. When this dad makes it public on social media, that then multiplies my problems. Care? Hell no I can take care of the problems (Plural) by telling dad take the player.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Do I care? Hell no. However, I have to argue with them, get called into an AD meeting with them, and eventually have to decide if it is worth it to keep their kid. I do care about the kid although the kid is probable also in on this. When this dad makes it public on social media, that then multiplies my problems. Care? Hell no I can take care of the problems (Plural) by telling dad take the player.

What are you arguing with them about? Their kid's official vs unofficial stats? I wouldn't think that happens too often, although I guess once is too many times. I keep my own stats for my kid on a spreadsheet on my laptop, if i need them for profile updates, etc. Our local papers and websites often are wrong based on what he had watched happen. I wouldnt think to go to the coach and argue a hit or ROE, SAC, whatever. If you found out a coach made a decision on playing time based only on incorrect stats I could see an issue. But I also don't see coaches doing that either.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD's average needs to be over .500 to be recruited and you scored it as an error instead of a Hit?
DD's Era went up a point because you scored that weak *** hit any 10 YO could have caught a Hit?

I can see were scoring could be an Issue.

(Back to OP. We need video so we can argue with HC and AD. :))

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What are you arguing with them about? Their kid's official vs unofficial stats? I wouldn't think that happens too often, although I guess once is too many times. I keep my own stats for my kid on a spreadsheet on my laptop, if i need them for profile updates, etc. Our local papers and websites often are wrong based on what he had watched happen. I wouldnt think to go to the coach and argue a hit or ROE, SAC, whatever. If you found out a coach made a decision on playing time based only on incorrect stats I could see an issue. But I also don't see coaches doing that either.

newsoftballdad, are you a HS Coach? HS Coaching has changed so much. We are expected to have "lines of communication" opened with our parents. So, mine "line of communication" is that if you want to talk, set something up with the AD. I'll meet you there and want a witness to what I have to say. So, it takes a lot of time and effort. You and I are not on the same lines as you don't see the problem and I know that social media with both parents and players is very powerful. In the end though, you are correct and I won't have a problem fixing it. I do have to go through a process.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Not a HS coach, just a Dad that probably wouldn't go through a meeting with an AD and Coach unless i thought there was something abusive. Coach puts the lineup together as they see fit, if they aren't playing the best players they don't win, they don't win they don't coach long. Of course the Coach/AD relationship comes in to play in that regard. Shame you need to go such nonsense with parents.

May 20, 2015
Bradenton, FL
Our Softball league attorney informed us that taking of video or photos of minors in the public county park we lease is not illegal (Florida).

Posting them to the public internet or any other use of the pictures with out the minors parents consent is illegal.

All of our players parents must sign an agreement to allow photos to be posted to our league web page, if you do not consent we have to make sure we do not post any game pictures of that team if we don't have 100% consent.

It pisses off the parents that would like to see pictures of their kids playing when one parent on the team does not consent, but we usually only get 1-2 a season that don't sign the consent form.

For a tournament that would be much more difficult to get consent for the minors, so I think you would be ok taking a video for use by the coach, just be careful what you do with the video (like posting it to youtube).

Oct 27, 2015
Latest update from the Softball BC

"I have heard back from other sport organizations and from my colleagues in the other provinces who govern softball on their processes. Other than policies for professional photographers, no one has formulated a policy or guidelines for people taking pictures at amateur sporting events. A number of the associations I have been in touch with suggest that common sense and respectfulness should be what is used in situations similar to this. That one can’t control individuals taking pictures of youth or adults playing games at public venues, but that the photographer should also inform the teams who are playing that they would like to take some pictures when it’s more than a proud family member or friend taking a photo of a player during a game, so the parents/coaches can protect anyone who wishes not to be photographed or filmed and those same parents/coaches are comfortable knowing what the purpose of the filming is. I’m waiting for further guidance on this from legal and child welfare professionals."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2015
For a tournament that would be much more difficult to get consent for the minors, so I think you would be ok taking a video for use by the coach, just be careful what you do with the video (like posting it to youtube).

It seems that publishing them would be where some legal issues lie. When I upload something to YouTube the last button I push says publish. I'm wondering if this is worded this way because of prior legal problems.

Oct 27, 2015
Bellow is the final decision that is to be posted on Softball BC's website

"Photography or Video in Parks or During Softball Activities
Softball BC has been asked to clarify, with our membership, guidelines and restrictions on individuals taking photographs or video of participants at a softball game or practice.
Our position, as supported by Sport Law and Strategy Group, is games and practices that take place on public property, such as a ball diamond, can be photographed or videotaped by anyone. Permission is not required from parents of minors, or from any participant.
Further, photographs taken in a public place can be posted online – on Facebook or other social media, so long as the image is not modified to deliberately mislead or represent what an identifiable person is doing.
Softball BC also requires that caution and common sense be exercised when posting images online, and minor age individuals not be identified by their full names."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00