Not Allowed to Video my Team???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not as easy as that.

Some states have laws that make it illegal to videotape minors without parental consent. Then there are also issues with how the videotape will be used that could push this to an invasion of privacy. It's really a State by State analysis on whether something like this is legal or not.

BTW, I know you're in Georgia. Georgia (and New Jersey) have laws that makes it illegal for anyone other than a parent to videotape minors without parental consent.

NO. They are in public and not in a classroom. Think about what you just said. If it were true, not one parent could have a camera at a game. There could never be a news reporter at a game taking photos. The local TV station could never cover a HS Basketball game or football game. I would demand the rules from your league. I would also go straight to the AD to complain and ask for his/her help. You can video tape your team at any time.

Oct 27, 2015
I've email the Executive Director of Softball BC. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I've included some points you guys have brought up here.

Oct 27, 2015
This is the only response I've been given so far.

Thanks for your email, I’ve read through it and have sent it along to members of our board for their input. Softball BC doesn’t have a policy, specifically on taking photos or video other than adhering to the Privacy Act.
We certainly respect your rights to take photos or video in a public place, while we also wish to protect the privacy of our members and especially the safety of minor age participants, as I am sure you do.
I am doing a bit more research into this matter, if we are to make a general pronouncement as you are asking, we want to be absolutely certain that it meets our risk management criteria, and conversely, if we are to put a restrictive policy in place, we want to have that well thought out as well.
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and I will respond as soon as I can.
Regards

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Played in a Gold Cup this weekend and at one of our games there were 4 Go Pros attached to the fence behind home plate.

Feb 7, 2014
I'm glad this topic came up as my DD is in 8th grade and I was figuring out what all I would need to do next year to stream the high school games to relatives out of state. Is it necessary to get an "ok" from the AD before going ahead or do most think you're in the right of way without it. All that being said I love that any of this is even possible - great for kids, families, etc.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm glad this topic came up as my DD is in 8th grade and I was figuring out what all I would need to do next year to stream the high school games to relatives out of state. Is it necessary to get an "ok" from the AD before going ahead or do most think you're in the right of way without it. All that being said I love that any of this is even possible - great for kids, families, etc.

I've learned with schools and most any other bureaucratic institution that you don't ask questions that you don't want the answer to. I would just do it unless someone specifically asked me to stop, and then they'd have to show me something backing that up. You're not getting hauled off to jail for pointing a camera at your kid's HS game.

Dec 11, 2010
I think WHO is taking the video can be relevant. Parent? Coach? Registered sex offender? Big difference there. WHERE is important too. Are the kids being taped in softball uniforms and being taped by a wide angle lens from behind the fence or are they at the beach in swimwear being taped with telephoto lens close up with the lens being adjusted for revealing angles?

The registered sex offender is very likely already prohibited from being at a softball field and is probably committing an illegal act in my state if he is video taping minors.

In my state the main prohibitions to video taping are bathrooms, tanning beds, locker rooms etc. In other words, Places You Can Reasonably Expect To Be Private like Riseball said. Also any video taken in another persons home or video of the interior of someone else's home taken from outside the home. It is not only unlawful to video record in those situations it is illegal to transmit that video to another person.

Now... I have a LinkSpyder/GoPro setup. I always get lots of friendly questions about it. I think some people want to know what will be done with the video and I try to work that in to the conversation. I prepared myself to be challenged by an umpire/coach/parent who wasn't so friendly about it. It hasn't happened but I am prepared to discuss how I am a parent, (not some random guy), the video will be used for our personal use, possibly recruiting, and at the teams request only, that I don't usually publish it on the internet and if you don't want video of your team/daughter/player on the internet I won't do it. I also want them to know that it doesn't really capture faces, the video really isn't like a MLB telecast. I would also ask what their concerns are and if I couldn't reassure them would take it down right then and there. Maybe it's a pitchers parent who is in a tense recruiting year and really doesn't want video of her player getting hit hard out there or something. Valid concern or not, I can understand that! Maybe they think the video will be used to belittle players or shame umps. I can understand that! But I think after they talk a bit I think they understand that's not what is going on with it.

I made up my mind when I started using the GoPro was that old line "Just because you CAN do something doesn't meant you SHOULD do something. In other words, even if it was unreasonable, if someone was all freaked out about the camera, I wasn't going to cause a scene or ruin their enjoyment of the game. If they really didn't like it I wasn't going to do it and I was going to pretend to be perfectly happy with it.

Privacy means different things in different places to different people. I think some people have understandable concerns but in a public sporting contest, an exhibition of skill, attended by the public, its hard to say that a player has a privacy concern.

Jul 17, 2016
Here's the TSSAA rule in Tennesse for high school:

Video taping or filming is permitted if the taping or filming is for private use or use by the two schools involved and not for public or commercial use. Video taping or filming must be done from the individual’s seat. Individuals will not be allowed to use tripods. A school taping or filming its own game may use a tripod. A school will not be allowed to tape or film a game unless its team is involved in the game. All taping or filming by a school may be approved by the local Game Director or Tournament Director, and the Tournament Director or Game Director shall assign space, when available, from which the school may tape or film.

I record all our high school games, and put them on a private youtube playlist that parents and coaches can see. I'm probably not in my "seat" when the camera's attached to the fence, but it's pretty close.

The whole "tripod" thing seems silly to me. I guess I get it, but what they're really trying to do is make it too hard for a person to hold an old school camera and film an entire game. At least that's my reading between the lines. I think these rules are from are way before smart phones and action cameras became common.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Here's the TSSAA rule in Tennesse for high school:

I record all our high school games, and put them on a private youtube playlist that parents and coaches can see. I'm probably not in my "seat" when the camera's attached to the fence, but it's pretty close.

The whole "tripod" thing seems silly to me. I guess I get it, but what they're really trying to do is make it too hard for a person to hold an old school camera and film an entire game. At least that's my reading between the lines. I think these rules are from are way before smart phones and action cameras became common.

I suspect that the prohibition of tripods is more about not having them in aisles and them being a general nuisance to other spectators.

Feb 27, 2017
why couldn't you say that you're using the GoPro for your DD. And if someone else gets in the frame, well, its on them. If they make you take it down, then they should take everyone's phone. Public park, should be allowed to make rules like this. TV reporters come around all the time, and film highlights. They would play, or forfeit. Shouldn't be an umpires job to dictate cameras! Play Ball!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles