Not Allowed to Video my Team???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
What do you think of a HS coach shutting down a parent's unofficial GameChanger account? She asked him to stop doing live scoring at games even though stats were protected and available only to individual players and family.

Seems like an insecure coach to me.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What do you think of a HS coach shutting down a parent's unofficial GameChanger account? She asked him to stop doing live scoring at games even though stats were protected and available only to individual players and family.

Possibly an insecure coach, but no way to really tell. Was the issue the live scoring or the stats themselves? I can understand a coach not wanting stats published as often times players obsess over them and it is counter productive. Mike Candrea preferred players not look at their stats. I for one put little value in the typical stats provided by apps like Game Changer. I have other measurements that to me are far more useful. For that matter I do not even keep a book in the dugout. I have a mom that does that. I only track te other teams substitutions especially if we are playing straight up NCAA rules. I really do not care that their #3 hitter grounded out to F6 last inning as that alone has zero context from which to make a coaching decision. There is the also the issue of parents questioning coaching decisions based on stats. There is much more to making a lineup and defensive alignment. However, would never tell my parents to not score a game. So the stats are one issue. As to the "live scoring" not sure what the coach would see as the downside of that.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Not sure what her actual issue was. It is a friend of mine's daughters team, I used it to follow her season, since our daughters played travel ball together. The dad using it sent a message out that coach asked him to stop scoring and that was it. I wish I had more details.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

The dad is not an official scorer. So, this dad post his opinions about plays, earned runs, etc. and they are not accurate. Now players and parents are upset that Sue has done better with the dad's accounts of things instead of the official book. I absolutely understand why the coach had concerns and I'm not insecure. It is just one more problem that didn't have to be. Just yesterday, I went to a former player and talked about why I am still coaching. It isn't worth it to me anymore to put up with all of the s....

May 17, 2012
I always enjoy looking at scoring for the same game on GameChanger by the two different teams that were playing. Sometimes I wonder if the scorekeepers were at the same game.

Having said that if playing time is based on merit game statistics have to play some role in that.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The dad is not an official scorer. So, this dad post his opinions about plays, earned runs, etc. and they are not accurate. Now players and parents are upset that Sue has done better with the dad's accounts of things instead of the official book. I absolutely understand why the coach had concerns and I'm not insecure. It is just one more problem that didn't have to be. Just yesterday, I went to a former player and talked about why I am still coaching. It isn't worth it to me anymore to put up with all of the s....

Makes you wish you coached this team.
sjokids_185.png

Jul 4, 2013
I always enjoy looking at scoring for the same game on GameChanger by the two different teams that were playing. Sometimes I wonder if the scorekeepers were at the same game.

Looking for contact info, I saw an opponent's GameChanger home page for the first time after a tourney two weeks ago. They had a different final score than we did. I didn't try to prove out our score book, but I was surprised. I'd expect to see hits and errors scored differently if I was looking at detailed stats, but I thought we all agreed on the score when the game was over. They gave us an extra run, so no complaints here.

May 17, 2012
Looking for contact info, I saw an opponent's GameChanger home page for the first time after a tourney two weeks ago. They had a different final score than we did. I didn't try to prove out our score book, but I was surprised. I'd expect to see hits and errors scored differently if I was looking at detailed stats, but I thought we all agreed on the score when the game was over. They gave us an extra run, so no complaints here.

I have witnessed teams changing scores long after the games are over. Since GC sends out emails when games are finalized (or modified from what I can tell).

We played a team that ended in a tie (weather) and 4 months later they won by a run. ;)

I always assumed they were padding their records for showcases.

Jul 4, 2013
In fairness, if I had to run GameChanger myself I might score it as a basketball game instead of softball. When I've had to take responsibility for GameChanger, I've only had middling success, so my hat is off to those that do it well and accurately. It's great for our team and fans.

I do better taking team video, about which I've thankfully had no objections. And I hope I never do. It's too much fun, and there are too many memories captured to quit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles