not a good day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
We recently had a end of the yr tourney and I was upset about two incidents. First, in a close game, we were in the field and there was a play at home in which their runner ran threw our catcher. this is a 10U league. I then asked the umpire why isn't that player out for not sliding. He proceeded to say they do not need to slide. I then took out the rules for the league that state: runners going in to home must avoid contact with defensive player. I asked him how is running over my catcher avoiding contact. He had no explanation.I tell all of my girls that if there is a play at the plate they need to be sliding. 2nd incident, our league can only score 5 runs per inning and we were down 6 going into the last inning. We were home team and I see their team going up to bat in the last inning, thinking ok since this is the last game(2nd loss) we will just play it out. They score 3 more runs and when it is our turn to bat, their coach has their team line up to shake hands. I ask the coach if we could finish our half of the inning, she says that she only has 2 pitchers and doesn't want them to over do it since it is a tournament. I then say if I would have known she would not of let us bat the game should have been called before the last inning. She doesn't respond. I know it is minor issues, but just need to get some others perspective.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Personally, especially in 10u, there should be sliding into home just for the safety aspect. These girls are just learning and do not always know how to tag.

I thought the other team not allowing you to hit in the last inning was bush league. Their team got an extra 1/2 inning of "game" batting practice at your teams expense. Why not let your team bat in the last inning so they get experience in a game situation. Batting in a game is different than batting practice. You never know what the girls may have learned, from both teams.

I just hope they still had fun.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If there were more coaches like you, kids would have a lot more fun. But, you can only control who you are and what you do. You behaved responsibly and sensibly. Take pride in being a good role model and leader.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for your replies. I believe as coaches we need to give our players teachable moments and it would have been a great experience for a player on the opposing team, who does not ordinarily pitch have the opportunity to pitch in a game and give my girls one more at bat for the season. I have 9 girls on my team and 5 have pitched in a game. Thanks again and I really enjoy this site.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
We also have a 5 run per inning rule. But our last inning is unlimited runs allowed. If nothing else it give you a chance to bat in cases where the score is a little lopsided.

Mar 9, 2011
there was a play at home in which their runner ran threw our catcher.

Was it a bang-bang play (AKA wreck)? Was your catcher blocking the plate without possession of the ball (runner would be safe on obstruction until contact)? Was the ball in possession of your catcher well ahead of the runner (runner would be out for intentional contact)? This ain't professional baseball, so if the contact was clearly intentional she should be out. Even if a 10 year old does not know what intentional contact is, she will learn after the rule is correctly applied. Teaching the players the rules is as important as teaching them the skills. Note: Umpires should call an out when the defense has possession of the ball during the tag even if contact knocks the ball loose.

Must Slide /No Contact rules are not a good idea. There are contact rules, just follow them. Sliding = maximum opportunity for injury. Slide when you must, avoid contact when you are out. Must Slide/No Contact rules also bring more difficult "workaround" rules to enforce and can bring more "umpire judgement" (not protestable) into what otherwise would be a clean play.

our league can only score 5 runs per inning and we were down 6 going into the last inning.

Bad umpire / bad rule set OR you forgot about the run rule / mercy rule:

If your league does not have an open "last inning" you were run-ruled and your league's rules should say so - game over and the umpire should stop the game. If you do have an open last inning; if there is a X after Y run rule (where X= run difference and Y=inning) and at the top of the last inning 6 was less than X and by the bottom of the inning 9 was greater than or equal to X, THEN you were run ruled and the game was over. Either way the Umpire should decide on the end of the game based on the rules, not the managers and their whims.

Note: Showing rules to an umpire during a game?? Yikes! Never a good idea. After asking the umpire his reason for his call, if he is not following the rules just say "We are playing under protest". Just know the difference between a judgement call and a rule interpretation.

Jun 15, 2011
ball was in mid flight to home when my catcher was ran over. I did not see her blocking the plate. I also believes the kids need to be sliding at home if there is a play at home. I think it is the coaches responsibility to teach sliding to the players. If they don't learn now, when will they learn. I believed the ump should have made a call before the last inning if we play it or not, but I thought everyone assumed we would play the last inning since they went up to bat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207