noise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Along the same line kinda. Batter runner crosses first base screaming safe. I was told this was interference. What is the call? ASA as well.

Mar 13, 2010
Umpires discretion.

With the screaming safe that's not too unusual. It depends on the age of the umpires, but most aren't bothered by it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
is there any asa rule for noise as in other team yelling when pitcher is in the swing?

No, there is no such rule.

As long as a team is cheering their own team/players, it is nobody's business no matter how annoying it is. ;)

If addressing the opposition (that means talking to, not about), it could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct.

I don't know why people think there are rules for every little thing that bothers them or their DD. What is really annoying is people trying to find any thing they can use as an excuse for failure or lack of performance, or just to put someone else down. Whatever happened to "let the girls play" mantra?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
No, there is no such rule.

As long as a team is cheering their own team/players, it is nobody's business no matter how annoying it is. ;)

If addressing the opposition (that means talking to, not about), it could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct.

I don't know why people think there are rules for every little thing that bothers them or their DD. What is really annoying is people trying to find any thing they can use as an excuse for failure or lack of performance, or just to put someone else down. Whatever happened to "let the girls play" mantra?

What about when the noise becomes a scream as the pitchers release? When it's loud but at an even tone thats fine, when its low then becomes high just when she pitches... yea I got a problem

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What about when the noise becomes a scream as the pitchers release? When it's loud but at an even tone thats fine, when its low then becomes high just when she pitches... yea I got a problem

Well, you are allowed to have a problem, but that is just what it is, YOUR problem.

Let me add that if I had my way, the game would be played in silence. All the screaming and hollering just drives me crazy. When I played , I used to holler at my team to shut up, I don't need any incentive to play the game.

However, it is still permissible by rule

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
We had an important game this year with the conference standings at stake. A player from another team (not the two playing) favored one of the two playing over the other as they would have been tied for first if the one team won. Sitting behind the fence at home plate she kept yelling "strike" very loudly on every pitch. It was obvious the umpire was displeased. Really close calls were being called "balls". The umpire may not have been influenced but I believe she was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie