NOCSAE Catchers Gear Rules 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
actually the velocity is faster, velocity is velocity, the reaction times are fairly equivalent, because the ball is travelling less overall distance. This does NOT mean the ball slows down to the typical softball speed by the time it reaches the plate. It simply means, that because of the shorter distance to cover, the batters reaction time to a 70 mph pitch from 43 is equivalent to a 100 mph pitch from 6? feet.

velocity = distance / time

reaction time = distance / velocity

This ^^^. 100mph does not equal 70mph when you are comparing velocities. Equivalent reaction time based on the different pitching distances is a different topic.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
True, velocity is velocity. The inner number nerd in me wanted to calculate impact values for both BB and FP. My gut has always leaned towards the velocities in FP are lower but the ball is heavier, maybe the impact would be worse than BB.

Anyway, after the calcs, I'm pretty amazed that if a 90mph 149gram baseball is the bench mark, I was amazed that for a 190gram 12" softball, the equivalent speed to generate the same impact would be 80mph (!!)....

Honestly, I would've thought that the softball would have hit you harder... Maybe this is why no NOCSAE for FP?

Nov 18, 2015
True, velocity is velocity. The inner number nerd in me wanted to calculate impact values for both BB and FP. My gut has always leaned towards the velocities in FP are lower but the ball is heavier, maybe the impact would be worse than BB.

Anyway, after the calcs, I'm pretty amazed that if a 90mph 149gram baseball is the bench mark, I was amazed that for a 190gram 12" softball, the equivalent speed to generate the same impact would be 80mph (!!)....

Honestly, I would've thought that the softball would have hit you harder... Maybe this is why no NOCSAE for FP?
I discovered the same thing recently in another thread. I think I started with a 35 mph softball vs. 50 mph baseball, and the softball had more force (impact?). But then I jumped it up to "professional" speeds, and used 60 or 65 mph for softball, and 90 for baseball, and the impact from a baseball became much greater than the softball. It's all about the speed, as the calculation requires you to square the velocity, but not the mass. (IF I did the calc. right)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Oops :rolleyes: Ok Get the difference in velocity conversation.
Brain went to equivalent plate reaction times.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

HELLO ERNIEKRU/ GAGS
???What does that middle paragraph explain????

90 mph bb to get equivalent impact
80 mph sb???
*so can throw softball 10mph slower velocity to get same impact as a baseball?
Because sb weighs more.

Can you do more math at slower velocity pitch speeds please!
Maybe
Sb. 50,60,70 mph compair to?

Anyone??
Bueller? Bueller? :)

This part.....

Screenshot_2020-02-05-19-38-21-1.png

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
What do you mean by “the impact of the ball”? The force at impact? Or how that force is dispersed? The later will vary based on the makeup of the ball. Ask anybody who has been around and they can tell you balls can vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer.

One piece of that NOCSAE standard for chest protectors that doesn’t get talked about much is the ball itself, as that can have an effect. NFHS and NCAA worked with NOCSAE to establish a baseball standard that also goes into effect this year. Again, no softball standard.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
HELLO ERNIEKRU/ GAGS

Anyone??
Bueller? Bueller? :)

As anyone familiar with the calcs, there are a ton of assumptions (which are truly just simplifications) to make the calcs easy to perform. These calcs are based upon MASS only... No COR values, etc. COR is coefficient of restitution, basically how much energy is returned from an impact, or even more simply, how bouncy the material is.

Also, it is not realistic to have 0 distance of impact (like the force plate in the above video). The distance of energy dissipation has HUGE effects on how much energy is transmitted..

In this type of calc where all other things are equal besides mass, the heavier object will always impart more impact than the lighter.

My assumptions are 149 gram for the baseball (MLB spec) and 190 gram 12" FP ball (spec is 178 gram to 199 gram... why on earth there's so much variance is above my pay grade). I've assumed 1" of deflection.

Here is the chart..

Speed 149g BB 190g FP
90 6.13N
80 4.8N 6.17N
70 3.7N 4.7N
60 2.72N 3.47N
50 1.89N 2.41N
40 1.21N 1.54N

Nov 18, 2013
Here is NOCSAE’s document on chest protector testing: https://nocsae.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ND200-19-Commotio-Cordis-Test-Method-002.pdf

Interesting note — there are two projectile speeds: 30 mph and 50 mph.

Good quick read on Commotio Cordis and the development of the NOCSAE standard: https://www.sadlersports.com/blog/commotio-cordis/

Interesting info in the article. 95% of cases of Commotio Cordis involve boys who are 10-18. That means in the past 25 years it’s affected less than one female athlete a year. That’s in all sports. It seems rather silly spending all this money creating NOCSAE standards for a problem that doesn’t exist in softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy