NOCSAE Catchers Gear Rules 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2012
Trying to dig up more info on this rule change. I see alot for baseball but nothing specifically for softball.

• High school & college baseball require a new NOCSAE certified chest protector.
  • Chest protectors made before 2018 do NOT have the certification.
  • Many chest protectors sold in 2018 & 2019 do NOT have the certification.
  • Evoshield has an undershirt with a NOCSAE protective plate that gives old gear new life

Mar 20, 2019
I wish they'd get off their butts and put out a spec for fielder's masks also. Some of them look pretty suspect.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
In previous posts on this topic, there was mention that older equipment might be grandfathered in. Is this no longer the case? Any chest protector used in HS must effectively be brand new?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Until the rule says "softball", it doesn't apply to softball. That said, better protection is a good thing.

May 29, 2015
As far as NFHS, it is only baseball (and lacrosse?); softball is not included.

The actual NOCSAE standard is designed for testing with baseballs and lacrosse balls. They did not develop a standard for testing with softballs. https://nocsae.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ND200-19-Commotio-Cordis-Test-Method-002.pdf

As written, the NFHS rule does not provide for the grandfathering of older chest protectors. I have not seen any directive to allow this.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Why would this be an issue or question for parents of catchers. If better equipment is out there and proven to provide additional protection, your DD's health and safety should come first over a few $$.

May 29, 2015
I think the real question is on using old equipment vs. having to buy a new one, not whether or not to buy a new stamped vs. new non-stamped one.

I could be wrong, but I suspect pretty much all new chest protectors will have the NOCSAE stamp going forward since manufacturers aren’t going to run two separate lines for softball and baseball.

In NFHS softball, you will still be able to use old chest protectors that are not stamped.

In NFHS baseball you will need a new chest protector if you don’t have the NOCSAE stamp.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Why would this be an issue or question for parents of catchers. If better equipment is out there and proven to provide additional protection, your DD's health and safety should come first over a few $$.

Is the protection of the new models actually better? We don't know if the non-NOCSAE models would have passed the NOCSAE testing. Manufacturers will use this as an opportunity to sell new gear.

For my DD, she's going to hold on to her Wilson ProMotion chest protector as long as she can. The fit and comfort are un-matched.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
For my DD, she's going to hold on to her Wilson ProMotion chest protector as long as she can. The fit and comfort are un-matched.
As long as she plays softball, that’s not an issue. But if she plays baseball, her ProMotion protector better have the NOCSAE label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee