No Jeans Allowed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
15 years ago when I coached basketball, jeans weren't considered disrespecting the game.

Actually, in most parts of the country it was and still is. Around here you'd be hard pressed to find a BB coach on the floor during a game that isn't in at least a button down shirt, dress slacks, and a formal dinner jacket. Most of them still wear ties with it...even at the MS level. I'm not judging anyone nor am I telling anyone what to wear. All I'm saying is what is generally known throughout the sports community and that proper attire for the sport shows respect for yourself, your team and the game.

Aug 26, 2015
Actually, in most parts of the country it was and still is. Around here you'd be hard pressed to find a BB coach on the floor during a game that isn't in at least a button down shirt, dress slacks, and a formal dinner jacket. Most of them still wear ties with it...even at the MS level. I'm not judging anyone nor am I telling anyone what to wear. All I'm saying is what is generally known throughout the sports community and that proper attire for the sport shows respect for yourself, your team and the game.
Yeah I didn't take it that way. Maybe in the south it's just different for 6u, 8u, 10u, and 12u recreational sports. I'm all for both rules and etiquette, but the fact that all 4 of us that day were wondering what the ump was talking about lends itself to the norm in our area vs. disrespect. I did a quick head count and of the 8 games I saw Saturday (including our own), 9 coaches were in jeans (was warm enough for me to be chilly in shorts).

Aug 26, 2015
I agree the umpire should not have bothered with the coach's attire.

Now, there are some unwritten expectations that coaches will adhere to neat, team logoed clothing, that represents your team in a good light. To me, it boils down to respect for the game and the job you are doing. It really doesn't take extra time to look the part of a coach.

How do you enforce uniform discipline? Do your players comply because you are the authority figure? Or do they comply because you are leading by example? I would like my team to comply because they have been shown and they want to, rather than because I said so.

There is more to coaching than running drills and calling plays in a game. What type of culture are you trying to create? Why would you not want to look like you are part of your team? Remember, you represent your team just as much as the players do. If you think college coaches don't pre-judge by the way the coach looks, you are mistaken. You can almost guarantee that if a college coach likes one of your girls, and you don't represent yourself well, that girl will be leaving your team.

At the end of the day, it is not about you and your comfortability. It is about the girls and what is being taught and shown. Take the time to look the part.

Team colors were orange and blue. Neatly pressed jeans and tucked in team shirt in 39 degree weather, from my perspective, isn't a choice for comfortability over looking the part. They both work hand in hand in this scenario. Again, my vantage point is rec level 10u. I'm not thinking about what college coaches think because they aren't coming to my games. Nor do I have aspirations to coach at a level that they would come to.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
It's definitely in the NFHS rule book, I checked. I got called out for wearing Black jeans (they don't even look like jeans!) I was like no way that is a real rule, so I looked it up and sure enough, it is! So dumb! And this is why I think it's Dumb.

I had to spend $150 to get hired. Then I had to buy my own coaching shirts because the HighSchool only allows 2 shirts. Not 2 shirts per coach, 2 shirts total for the entire softball program. What are we supposed to do, share them? Had to buy black pants and kaki's, plus the amount of hours I've put in, the least they could do is buy my coaching shirt and don't give me crap when I'm wearing nice jeans coaching 1st base!

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Feb 10, 2015
Myself and one of my other coaches both work in Corrections. Sometimes things don't go as planned in a prison and you don't get to leave when you're supposed to. There have been countless games we have been out there coaching in our correctional officer uniforms because we left work and drove straight to the field. No one has ever said anything, but not everyone has the time to go home and change and get pretty before a game/tournament. As long as your attire is appropriate I don't see the point in making a big deal about what you wear. We also have jerseys we wear that match the girls jerseys, and wear either black track pants or khaki shorts when we do have time to change.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My first question is what juvenile detention center is this team from? :)

Well known baseball player Pete Rose played adult mens' fastpitch when he was 12, on a team coached by "Dud" Zimmer. 3 kids from the team made the majors. So, Pete Rose was a pretty good softball player, too. Helped with his fielding.

When he was in prison, he got some hints that it would be a Very Bad Idea for him to play on the inmates' softball team, since they played the guards, similar to The Longest Yard. Instead, he coached the team. The team beat the guards for the first time, fortunately not long before Rose was released. Guards were not happy about his coaching. Maybe it was the jeans?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd