No Jeans Allowed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
jeans dad.jpg

If you can rock the dad jeans better than this guy, hat's off. If it's 30-40 degrees. I give a pass on the jeans, but prefer the wind breaker fleece types. A couple of summers ago we are playing all star tourneys and this older gentlemen coach always wore the dad wrangler. It was 100 degrees. Crazy cowboy dad I guess.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I remember reading the NFHS rules and wondering if this one was ever enforced. I'll have to get some track pants I guess, my shorts got REAL cold at a few games last season lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2013
NFHS -High School rules. Rule 3-5. Article 3. "Cut-offs or any type of jeans are prohibited" by coaches any time they are in live-ball area. Page 37 in the 2016 Rule Book.

Any time a coach is in live ball area to confer with players or an umpire, or to occupy a coach's box, the coach shall be attired in school uniform or jersey/coaching shirt with coaching shorts/slacks or warm up-up suits (including fleece warm-ups) in school colors or colors of khaki, black, white or gray. Cut-offs or any type of jeans are prohibited. Jackets are not considered part of the coaches uniform.

Somebody must have been an issue in the past or someone on the Rules Committee really wanted it.....but it has been there for years and years.

But, during the Spring on wet days where the high school coach is also the ground crew and doing all they can to get the field playable in the Pacific NW...we don't enforce it.

Beyond HS; don't deal with it during Travel Ball.

Feb 12, 2014
I know there is an ASA tournament in Ohio that has it in their tournament rules that coaches have to have matching attire. Seemed outright ridiculous to me and it wasn't enforced.

I've always thought the practice of baseball coaches wearing baseball uniforms was more than a bit silly. We struggle to get rec coaches that have any softball knowledge in our area, so I'd welcome a guy in jeans that was willing to help. To say that he's disrespecting the game in any way is absurd in my opinion.

Aug 26, 2015
It is generally accepted that wearing jeans on the field as a coach, at any level, is considered "disrespecting" the game. The proper attire is either shorts at knee length, a coaches shirt (preferably collared) with the team logo on it, a pullover with the team logo on it plus track type sweat pants (not collared at the bottom) when it's cold and an approved cap or visor with the team logo on it. There's nothing in the rules that specifically states this unless it's in the HS or NCAA rule books. Not saying it is, just that it may be depending upon the state and possibly college.

That said, with the dress fashions continually changing towards the more leisure/comfort wear, I can't see where it's really any umpires business what you wear on the field unless it's specifically written in the rulebook what is necessary. However, open toed shoes such as slides/flip flops are a no-no since it poses a potentially hazardous situation with hard hit foul ground balls possibly caroming off the toes. Also, I wouldn't deem tank top white tee-shirts (otherwise known as "wife-beaters" in some parts of the country) and cut-off jean shorts appropriate coaches wear either. JMHO.

15 years ago when I coached basketball, jeans weren't considered disrespecting the game.

Jun 21, 2012
I agree the umpire should not have bothered with the coach's attire.

Now, there are some unwritten expectations that coaches will adhere to neat, team logoed clothing, that represents your team in a good light. To me, it boils down to respect for the game and the job you are doing. It really doesn't take extra time to look the part of a coach.

How do you enforce uniform discipline? Do your players comply because you are the authority figure? Or do they comply because you are leading by example? I would like my team to comply because they have been shown and they want to, rather than because I said so.

There is more to coaching than running drills and calling plays in a game. What type of culture are you trying to create? Why would you not want to look like you are part of your team? Remember, you represent your team just as much as the players do. If you think college coaches don't pre-judge by the way the coach looks, you are mistaken. You can almost guarantee that if a college coach likes one of your girls, and you don't represent yourself well, that girl will be leaving your team.

At the end of the day, it is not about you and your comfortability. It is about the girls and what is being taught and shown. Take the time to look the part.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I'm going to see them in concert next month.

I won't make it this year. I've been twice. Best show was when Queensryche and Rob Halford opened for them.
smileys-cool-432174.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom