NIW compression tests and performance/durability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
I will never understand why anybody buys a new bat. DD has had exactly one NIW high end bat that I won in a raffle in her eight years of softball. I understand wanting to try new bats, but none of them have a $200 difference in performance new vs. used. Most bats that are two years old can be had used (or NIW) for $150 or less. Why not try two or three for the price of one new one? Heck, if she busts a $125 used bat, buy another one for $125 and your still $100 ahead. BTW, Quatros will be cheap by next spring (or get a used 2Legit for $100) and a used Flex can be had for around $100.

As far as compression, USA/ASA and PGF Nationals are the only places I've heard of compression tests being performed. I really wouldn't sweat failing a compression test. With the removal of the OG Eastons from tournament play, the days of the mushy hot as fire, durable bats are over, with the exception of a Phenix and an OG Catalyst. A "little hotter" based on compression really doesn't matter. Also, the Xeno/LXT aren't hotter because they are softer. Their inner discs limit the trampoline effect so their ball exit speed will be similar to a conventional hollow composite bat.

I've never paid full retail for a new bat , does that count? :p
I can't speak for why a lot of people don't buy used, but I had a friend that got burned on a used bat. It was bought off ebay and it turned out it was illegal, it had been shaved and the seller didn't disclose it. The family didn't discover it until she had used it for a while and it was disqualified at a tournament. They were really embarrassed because they hadn't intended on "cheating" and didn't even know what bat shaving was or what to look for, but word of their "illegal bat" spread like wildfire at the tournament . So I guess some people like new because they know the history of the bat.

Are you talking about the all orange 2Legit? I see some on ebay but they are all over $200, some are almost $400.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Question and maybe Core can help answer. I was speaking with a good umpire friend of mine last week and he told me that the "umpire community" had been informed that next year the bats will have to have a new USA sticker on them. Discussion I have heard is that USA will be taking over ASA/USSSA as the sole governing body since we are back in the Olympics now and the effect of that will be that the bats will be getting a new approval USA sticker in 2018.

Expectations are that some bats will be grandfathered in of course but it sure seems like the bat industry would win big with this one.

Anyone heard anything similar?

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Honestly, people weren't getting ripped off from me...haha. But you see where that got me :)

I was upsetting the cash cow market that is fastpitch bat sales.
I really admire what you did for folks on this board. I know you weren't making a killing on your bats. I expect you will be one of many who gets run out of town by the big guys. Heck, I've got a friend who just bought a sporting goods store and Wilson won't even sell him products. The brick and mortar mom and pop stores are definitely a dying breed.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I've never paid full retail for a new bat , does that count? :p
I can't speak for why a lot of people don't buy used, but I had a friend that got burned on a used bat. It was bought off ebay and it turned out it was illegal, it had been shaved and the seller didn't disclose it. The family didn't discover it until she had used it for a while and it was disqualified at a tournament. They were really embarrassed because they hadn't intended on "cheating" and didn't even know what bat shaving was or what to look for, but word of their "illegal bat" spread like wildfire at the tournament . So I guess some people like new because they know the history of the bat.

Are you talking about the all orange 2Legit? I see some on ebay but they are all over $200, some are almost $400.
Most of the deals I find these days are on FB pages. I think a lot of folks from SBF and other message boards have went to FB to sell their used bats. I sell a few every year and have never had a bad transaction, although you do hear of folks getting burned from time to time. I'm curious, how did the director discover it was a shaved bat? Here's a few 2Legits from FB. There are others too.
IMG_2418.jpgIMG_2420.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Question and maybe Core can help answer. I was speaking with a good umpire friend of mine last week and he told me that the "umpire community" had been informed that next year the bats will have to have a new USA sticker on them. Discussion I have heard is that USA will be taking over ASA/USSSA as the sole governing body since we are back in the Olympics now and the effect of that will be that the bats will be getting a new approval USA sticker in 2018.

Expectations are that some bats will be grandfathered in of course but it sure seems like the bat industry would win big with this one.

Anyone heard anything similar?
It took a couple of years for USSSA to enforce their new thumbprint stamp due to folks threatening to not play their tournaments to keep players from having to buy a new bat immediately. I would expect it to be the same with any new stamp requirement from any sanctioning body. I will add that this discussion came up every year for a while thinking this would be the way the old Eastons would be banned. Instead, Easton "voluntarily" pulled their pre ABI bats and most bats are still legal in USA/ASA Fastpitch that have the 2000, or 2004 stamp.

Oct 16, 2014
Most of the deals I find these days are on FB pages. I think a lot of folks from SBF and other message boards have went to FB to sell their used bats. I sell a few every year and have never had a bad transaction, although you do hear of folks getting burned from time to time. I'm curious, how did the director discover it was a shaved bat? Here's a few 2Legits from FB. There are others too.
View attachment 11572View attachment 11574

thanks for the links. I can't seem to get on some of these FB sell sites. I've have outstanding requests at a couple for some time now..... I would trust a transaction from a member on here too. Maybe even more so than FB

As for how the illegal bat was discovered? I'm not 100% sure of all the details, as I wasn't there. But I think one of the Umps called it into question. Something about the end cap. Ump said he was really active in Slow Pitch and had been exposed several doctored bats in slow pitch and "knew what to look for".

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
thanks for the links. I can't seem to get on some of these FB sell sites. I've have outstanding requests at a couple for some time now..... I would trust a transaction from a member on here too. Maybe even more so than FB

As for how the illegal bat was discovered? I'm not 100% sure of all the details, as I wasn't there. But I think one of the Umps called it into question. Something about the end cap. Ump said he was really active in Slow Pitch and had been exposed several doctored bats in slow pitch and "knew what to look for".
Probably saw some glue at the end cap connection. He and I probably would have tied up if there wasn't visual evidence on the bat, lol! My DD has an ump ask her if her SCN8B was her only bat during a pregame visual inspection. She said no, she just used it when was cold. He told her to use her other bat and removed the 8B from play. Coach asked for explanation he just said it was his discretion. Umpire in next game allowed the bat.

Jun 19, 2016

Make yourself a public gallery with a few softball pics or message the admin directly. I had a couple of different admins tell me they didn't accept my request because I had no visible softball stuff on my profile.

Oct 16, 2014
Make yourself a public gallery with a few softball pics or message the admin directly. I had a couple of different admins tell me they didn't accept my request because I had no visible softball stuff on my profile.

good suggestion. My cover photo is my DD pitching to her older sister catching for her (one of my favorite pics as it's the only 10 minutes in history that they've played harmoniously together;)) , but the rest of my facebook is pretty locked down. Public gallery is a good idea. I need to get on some of these pages, I'm going to be looking for a couple used bats soon

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I will never understand why anybody buys a new bat. DD has had exactly one NIW high end bat that I won in a raffle in her eight years of softball. I understand wanting to try new bats, but none of them have a $200 difference in performance new vs. used. Most bats that are two years old can be had used (or NIW) for $150 or less. Why not try two or three for the price of one new one? Heck, if she busts a $125 used bat, buy another one for $125 and your still $100 ahead. BTW, Quatros will be cheap by next spring (or get a used 2Legit for $100) and a used Flex can be had for around $100.

As far as compression, USA/ASA and PGF Nationals are the only places I've heard of compression tests being performed. I really wouldn't sweat failing a compression test. With the removal of the OG Eastons from tournament play, the days of the mushy hot as fire, durable bats are over, with the exception of a Phenix and an OG Catalyst. A "little hotter" based on compression really doesn't matter. Also, the Xeno/LXT aren't hotter because they are softer. Their inner discs limit the trampoline effect so their ball exit speed will be similar to a conventional hollow composite bat.

Which model OG catalyst is hot?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles