Niece Cut From HS Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I was cut from a team in High School when I was a sophmore. Before cuts, the head coach spoke to the team and told us of his experience playing basketball, how his hopes and dreams were tied to it, and then he got cut from the college team and it felt like he was kicked in the gut. he explained that it's by no means the end of the road and even though it sucked getting cut, we all knew that it the head guy really did feel bad about it and was concerned for all his players, not just the ones who remained on the team.

He was a quality guy. Developed quite a few championship teams and had an incredible W/L record when he retired.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sorry to hear she didn't make it, and that she's down about it. Must be a really good high school program if there's a 9th grade team and a varsity and players who are serious enough to take hitting lessons aren't making it. Hopefully she'll have a shot next season. For really good teams, it's not unusual that very few sophomores will make it. Maybe it's just a 'Wait'll Next Year' thing.

And I agree that high school softball is important. For good programs, it's more important than travel ball because you're representing something bigger than just a travel ball team. It's part of a kid's identity at her school. I hope she sticks with it and makes the team next year.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Hs ball is a big deal here. Its played through the summer so if you wanted to play tb more then early spring, you have to play for teams that are hours away. I think a lot of the tb only kids are in Florida, Texas, Cali, etc.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My regrets as well. HS sports are important to kids, for different reasons that perhaps adults have a hard time to understand.

I hope her parents support her if she decides to hang up the cleats. All athletes eventually have to move on to something other than their chosen sport.

Apr 1, 2010
I think HS ball matters to the kids, but for different reasons than travel ball does. My DD realizes her team isn't anywhere near the skill level of her summer team, but she's playing with classmates and representing her school. It's a big deal to play a Varsity sport to the kids. It's a great way to meet kids from other grades and other kids tend to recognize the athletes. It helps underclassmen find their way in a new school. In Missouri, HS plays softball in the Fall so my DD met her teammates before she met her classmates. She started the first day of school knowing 20 kids, in addition to those kids she knew in middle school.

My DD is still a 6th grader, but I was thinking that would be a nice opportunity to meet kids ahead of time--if she does decide to try to play HS ball and makes the team. I think the HS coach also urges the girls who want to tryout in August to come in for "optional" summer weight-lifting. :)

Nov 29, 2009
I think what upset her most is she is a great outfielder, OK hitter and infielder. According to her the tryouts were focused on infield skills and hitting. She does go to a good hitting instructor but she is only an OK hitter.

Unfortunately your niece has one skill, many good infielders have also have the ability to play in the outfield. If the program is competitive a coach will want as many flexible players as possible on the their teams. It makes it much easier to manage when injuries or other unforeseen circumstances arise.

The name of the game is hitting. If you hit you play. It's as simple as that.

The other thing that usually happens in HS is the freshman team will have 20+ kids on the roster. The kids who are on the fence are usually the ones who get cut when moving to varsity and JV where the rosters are smaller.

Hopefully your niece will find something to keep her busy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad