nfhs rules questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
had 2 scenarios happen last week that i was unsure if they were interpreted correctly.
scenario #1 r1 at 2nd 1 out. batter hit ball a ground ball to left field for a base hit, on her swing she contacted the catchers glove with her bat on the swing. i do not know if the umpire signaled dead ball but on the play r1 was tagged out at home br advanced to 2nd. pu comes out and has conference with bu and they talk to offense team and award br 1st and place runner back at 2nd base. they told defensive coack the catcher obstructed the batter and on the delayed dead ball it was the coaches option to take play or take ob call. after game i talked to umpires and they said they got the call wrong and should not of given coach the option because the r1 was only protected between 2nd and 3rd and once she passed 3rd and was out the offensive team had to take the play per rule 8-1-2. it reads like that but is that correct? should they have stopped play and awarded 1st and 3rd?
scenario #2
bases loaded 1 out. 2-2 count pitcher is on pitchers plate with hands seperated taking signal and ball in her hand she brings hands together and drops the ball then picks in up . umpire called ip. 3- 2 count all runners advanced. was this right? i cant remember the rule off the top of my head but i read the nfhs trying to find on when the pitch actually starts and should it just have been a ball?
thanks for any input

Jun 22, 2008
Your umpires were 0 for 2. On catchers obstruction once the batter/runner and all base runners have safely advanced 1 base, there is no longer an option, the play stands.

As for the IP, the pitch does not start until the hands have been brought together and separated, or the pitcher makes any motion that is part of their windup. Dropping the ball prior to the pitch starting is nothing, dropping the ball after the pitch has started is simply a live ball, runners can advance with liability to be put out and a ball on the batter.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
thanks comp was wracking my brain for a few days trying to figure those out like i said they did realize after the game they made a mistake on the first one and it didn't matter in the outcome of the game. the second one was me and i made the wrong call. i wasn't sure and i did conference with my partner and he wasn't sure either. so i went with my initial call and coaches did not argue. i have them next weekend will let her know i was wrong.

Nov 29, 2009
dropping the ball after the pitch has started is simply a live ball, runners can advance with liability to be put out and a ball on the batter.

My DD did something like that in HS once. Runner on 1st. During the delivery of a pitch the ball slipped out of her hand at the back of her arm circle. She drilled the ball into the ground behind her. The ball kicked back and towards the SS. The runner on 1st was so confused she ran to 2nd. The SS picked the ball up and tagged her before she got to the base. She was called out. The HC from the other team came out and was arguing with the BU. The BU would not change the call. If I didn't know better, it looked like a trick play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877